Grinding noise when turning, but only at certain point in turn

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power steering box was going out, and I noticed a weird problem. When I turn right, at about 1/8 of the turn, I hear a kinda grinding noise. It is like something rubbing/grinding. At first, I thought "oh, wheel bearing". But, It sounds more to the center of the truck, not either side.

So, today, I replaced the box, and when I was doing that, I checked to see if there was any noticeable rubbing or play in the wheels. Nope, nothing.

Needless to say, the steering is night and day compared to what it was (it didn't have power steering when turning right), but on the test drive, I heard the noise again.

It only happens when turning right, and only at 1/8 of a turn, and only going slow (15mph or less).

I have been reading around, and everyone says wheel bearing with noises like this, and I suppose it could be. But also, I noticed that someone mentioned that the clutch could be grabbing, if you have a non slip rear end. Not sure if I do, I will look up the numbers.

Any ideas? Besides taking off the wheels, is there a way to test the bearings.

Could it be something in the 4X4?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd bet money it's the 'corner' of the tire hitting the 'corner' of the bumper. I replaced a lot (see sig) before realizing thats what mine was.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look, but I am pretty sure it isn't that (my tires are not even close to the bumper). The sound seems like it comes from the center, not the sides.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
If your truck is a 4x4 I bet you have a bad front right u-joint or some other problem with the front right 4x4 shaft coming from the front diff.
But I would check both sides for bad u-joints or worn shafts coming fron the front diff.
It is kinda of like a front wheel drive car if you turn the car right I belive the left cv shaft is bad if you turn the car left the right cv shaft is bad, or something like that.
But I would defintly check the u-joints and the shafts for the front diff.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, you made a liar out of me! that was it! the front left tire was barely hitting the bumper.

It is strange that this happens, though. Is it because of a weak shock, spring, or something? The right side has a good 3 inches of clearance, but the left side touches.

What caused this? (it only started recently).

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is a 4x4 I bet you have a bad front right u-joint or some other problem with the front right 4x4 shaft coming from the front diff.
But I would check both sides for bad u-joints or worn shafts coming fron the front diff.
It is kinda of like a front wheel drive car if you turn the car right I belive the left cv shaft is bad if you turn the car left the right cv shaft is bad, or something like that.
But I would defintly check the u-joints and the shafts for the front diff.
how do I check the u-joints, just check for play?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
For me, it was also the left front, and it stopped after changing the shocks, the bumper may also be that the bumper is a little bent.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, it was also the left front, and it stopped after changing the shocks, the bumper may also be that the bumper is a little bent.

could it have been that cow I hit? :rotflmao

yeah, I think the shock on the front might be a bit worn, I was noticing that today when I was changing out the steering box. It seemed a bit low.

I'll bend the bumper for now, and when some funds come my way, it will be new shocks in the front!

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, glad you got it figured out. I bought a replacement bumper from LMC, but havent installed it yet. The sound was more prodiminant when backing up too, which was caused by the tore shifting forward due to bad ball joints.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine only does it at low speeds going forward. I need to check out all the joints and everything, but I need to earn some money to pay for it, first. I've spent a lot on the truck in the last 6 months, and it is getting there, but still a ways to go!

I typically only drive it every 2 weeks or so, so some problems can just be left alone for a while, if they are not too serious (shocks)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I hooked a chain to my brothers 93 to straighten his out. Used my 94 to pull it. Didn't take much.

Almost all of them I see are sagging on the drivers side.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I hooked a chain to my brothers 93 to straighten his out. Used my 94 to pull it. Didn't take much.

Almost all of them I see are sagging on the drivers side.

is it just bent bumpers or shocks? my bumper doesn't look obviously bent or saggy, actually.

I don't have another one to hook it, too, I will have to find a tree!

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, there's no such thing as level ground around here, we're all rocky roads in the mountains.

But, I did check it, and the bumper was about 1/2" lower on the driver side, so I was able to lift it a bit. Still, it was too close for comfort, so I just cut the corner off real quick. Now, it has a clear 3" like the other side.