Grey Smoke Puff?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I dont think I need to be overly worried here ( I Hope!) On the way home this evening after a long stretch at interstate speeds as I got back on county roads I noticed whenever I let out of the throttle I'd get a nice puff of grey smoke come from my exhaust. It was only noticeable at above roughly 40 mph, and I completely let off the throttle after giving it any throttle whatsoever.

I am on WMO blend right now, however I've never seen this before. I have a sneaking suspicion my fuel pump is crapping out. Could this be the culprit?

wmoguy

Reaction score
sorry i don't have anything to add, but i take it that your running your new turbo?

Nope. got the remaining silicone boots delivered today and oil purchased for the turbo. outside of the hot side plumbing it will be done tomorrow.

Since my original post here i think i figured it out. i think i forgot to add a thinner (kero) to my last batch of fuel. oops! after filling up with 6 gallons of diesel in the tank no more issues after a few miles...oops.....
I must be starting the stages of senior moments. LOL

wmoguy

Reaction score
well I spoke to soon. White/Grey smoke is back! Argg............

After the engine's good and warm, I get a puff of white smoke when I let out of the throttle, and another puff when I put my foot back in the throttle. Also if the truck is idling for any extended period of time sometimes it loads up and puffs out some smoke and idles kind of rough.
I could just be anxious, but it almost feels like the pickup is taking longer to cool down too. I generally let it get down to 300'ish on the EGT gauge before I shut her off. Ambient temps here have been higher the last few days so maybe it's just that and I'm overly concerned?
Could this be a sticky injector?
I'm hoping it's not a head gasket. I don't have antifreeze in my oil, have antifreeze in the radiator (same amt) and the coolant hoses don't feel overly hard while the pickup is running.

Ideas on where to start diagnosing guys? My OCD'ness is not going to let this go

wmoguy

Reaction score
oh yea forgot to add, if you smell the exhaust at idle when it starts puffing whitish grey smoke, it's definetely oil smelling, not sweet like coolant. I suppose I could just have a whacked out blend of WMO? If it's just a bad batch of WMO blend, I'd get it, except doesn't is seem odd to get the white puff of smoke when i let off the throttle then put my foot back in it and get another puff?

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say its just a bad blended batch of WMO, I run some straight wmo, trans fluid mixes from work once in a while, mine smokes more than normal and smells funny too

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'd say its just a bad blended batch of WMO, I run some straight wmo, trans fluid mixes from work once in a while, mine smokes more than normal and smells funny too

Thx for your input. When you've had a bad batch before, did it puff smoke when you let off the throttle or when you tapped the throttle again? (I'm talking just normal conservative driving, not stabbing at the throttle)

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't pay that much attention to it, but I do know it smokes more than normal. As far as blending I don't, just dump it in the tank and pour some PS or Howe's in on top of it. This last tank I did though was probably 75% oil/atf, 25%#2 and it smokes alot, I do need new injectors though. I'm thinking about starting to blend at home though due to cost of fuel and new baby coming in the very near future.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I had a batch that had something unknown in it. But It would puff like you describe, little hazy at WOT, it would make the truck randomly start idling a little rough. Ran that tank down, refilled with a fresh batch and all was well. That was 90K ago.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think gear oil could do that, just a thought, we get a lot of diff flushes in oilfield trucks.......our waste oil furnace guy says heavier oils will make the furnace do funny things due to the viscosity just a thought.

wmoguy

Reaction score
argh I just can't let this issue die! So this morning I did my usual go let the pickup warm up for a few mins before I leave the house. I came back out and it was smoking out the neighborhood for mosquitos. I mean it was billowing grey smoke out. I thought maybe she just needing a good floggin and some diesel jammed in the tank so I flogged it all the way to town and added 9 gallons of #2. I figure at this point it's got to be nearly all diesel in the tank with remnants of maybe 3-4 gallons of WMO blend. When I got to work it was billowing smoke so bad I was really worried about a cop driving by giving me a ticket! And even after 5 minutes of idle time, EGT's would not drop below 400.
Fast fwd to this evening. I had to drive to a neighboring city and cruised on the hwy @ 70 mph on flat ground, and was running 1000 degrees EGT the whole way, which is abnormally high for me (ambient temp was maybe 50 degrees?) and 7psi, which is higher than my normal cruising boost levels. No change.....at idle it idled like crap, and every time I let off the throttle at higher speeds I'd make a big puff of grey'ish white smoke, then another puff when I put my foot back in the throttle (lightly) Also if I kick Overdrive off to use engine compression to slow down it billows this same grey smoke out the exhaust.......
I went and bought a bottle of Diesel Kleen and poured the entire bottle in (treats 100 gallons-added it to my front fuel tank which was full) then got out on I-25 and decided to flog it hard at 80+ mph constant speed. EGTs and boost seemed more normal, 11-12psi and 1000 degrees. After a few miles at this speed I started to notice slight surging. A few miles later the surges were so noticeable I could literally watch my boost gauge go from 12psi-14psi in a pulsating way (not like turbo surge or flutter)

When I got home I let her cool down in the driveway, idle seemed a little more steady, but within 30 seconds of being stationary the darn smoke started billowing out again. I again went over to the exhaust to get another good whiff and it's definetely NOT cooolant, it's a nasty pungent smell (not sweet at all) thats clearly oil, so much to the point it made my eyes burn.

Towcat suggested on the phone that it sounded like an IP going bad, and I'm really leaning that way. (which sucks because it's only got maybe 14k miles on it) I'm kind of scratching my head though, because the last pump I had crap out (when I bought this pickup it had the original pump on it with 200k miles on it) it had NO power and just blew BLACK smoke everywhere all the time. This pump, conversly almost feels like the power has INCREASED recently, and doesn't throw black smoke, just this stupid Grey smoke at idle or off throttle.

The surging issue I thought could be a bad fuel pump (low pressure and volume) but it seems awful coincidental that would be the case, considering I don't think a bad lift pump could cause grey smoke. I'm not burning motor oil (checked and levels are same) which also rules out a turbo seal gone bad.

So I come back to Injectors or IP. Thoughts everyone? I"m befuddled here....... Could it be the cold idle advance slightly staying on?

wmoguy

Reaction score
update: Problem solved......turns out I had some sort of air intrusion going on, I'm guessing at the FSV. I had been thinking about ditching the stock tanks anyway and just using my transfer tank as my main tank. Project complete. Overall it's better anyway, as I have 3/8" line on both the feed line and return line (which took care of my excess fuel pressure issue too) I went out and flogged the crap out of it, and no more grey'ish smoke puffs, (and I have a normal idle again)

Thank you for those that commented and provided advice here!

Reaction score
update: Problem solved......turns out I had some sort of air intrusion going on, I'm guessing at the FSV. I had been thinking about ditching the stock tanks anyway and just using my transfer tank as my main tank. Project complete. Overall it's better anyway, as I have 3/8" line on both the feed line and return line (which took care of my excess fuel pressure issue too) I went out and flogged the crap out of it, and no more grey'ish smoke puffs, (and I have a normal idle again)

Thank you for those that commented and provided advice here!

What is FSV?