Gray smoke, rough idle, surging......HELP

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on tuesday I bought my first 7.3 psd, I love the truck and she pulls strong, idles good and runs great.....well did anyway. The truck has 117k on it and its a 2001 with the 6 speed, bone stock. I have driven it 111 miles and all of a sudden it starts stalling so I mash it to the floor and she belches out tons of gray smoke then clears up but stops pulling. Idles rough and misses, when I was in the parking lot I could rev it up and it would break up then blow the raw fuel all out the tail pipe. I am thinking a cloged injector or gelled fuel or something. I live in georgia so it doesnt get cold enough to gell fuel I wouldnt think but who knows. I sent it back to the dealership for them to fiqure out but I want to make sure its fixed and not patched up. Any ideas?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Welcome to the darkside :D ......

Sounds like either a UVC harness,or IPR...did you see a check eng light?...
........is the dealer gonna make it right .....:backoff

:popcorn

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No check engine light, They are but they acted like they didnt want to, You know how they are. Im going to have them look at a few other things also like its leaking coolant, I hear the water pumps are an ill design. and a few other small details. Yea I told them am told them and made it perfectly clear that I will not pay for anything, I payed premium price and I expect a premium truck. Ohh and It feels good to be on the dark side, real good.

On another note whats some good performace mods, I plan on installing a chip, exhaust and intake but is there any other mods that you dont hear much about, Like the harnes for the turbo that keeps the computer from cutting back on fuel when the turbo is spooled and stuff like that?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gauges, open element air filter,Gauges, down pipe, GaugesandGauges, open up the exhaust,Gauges, 10K mod,Gauges, FPR shim,Gauges, Wicked Wheel,Gauges. That'll get you started with the cheap, easy stuff. If you want more you're going to have to dig a few Ben Franklins out of storage.

I cant stress Gauges strongly enough, I've got a guy over at SDD right now pulling his motor.... modded it without adding Gauges.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Gauges, open element air filter,Gauges, down pipe, GaugesandGauges, open up the exhaust,Gauges, 10K mod,Gauges, FPR shim,Gauges, Wicked Wheel,Gauges. That'll get you started with the cheap, easy stuff. If you want more you're going to have to dig a few Ben Franklins out of storage.

I cant stress Gauges strongly enough, I've got a guy over at SDD right now pulling his motor.... modded it without adding Gauges.

gee... think he ought to invest in gauges?

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea guages are a given, They will come first and formost. 10k mod and fpr shim? What are those? What about the smoke and miss deal? anymore ideas there.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The smoke and miss sound like a fuel delivery problem, you shouldnt be experiencing injector problems @ 117K miles but you dont know the previous owners maint. history either so its a crap shoot.

Hopefully the dealer does a buzz test and a CCT to determine injector health.

FPR shim is detailed HERE.

&

The 10K mod is detailed HERE.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for performance mods we need to know what you plan on useing the truck for,what kind of power are you looking for or how crazy do you want to get with it?

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too crazy, just bolt ons and a wicked wheel, cheep is the name of the game for right now. Is the quadzilla chip any good? I thought about just cutting off the muffler and cat and running a strait through muffler with a strait pipe in place of the cat, would that help much being the exhaust is stock size?

As for the problem im having will the lift pump cause it to act that way when it goes out or am I looking at more of a senser or something elect.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a dptuner or wildman chip would be better.cutting the cat and muffler off will help a fair amount.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Yea guages are a given, They will come first and formost. 10k mod and fpr shim? What are those? What about the smoke and miss deal? anymore ideas there.

I'd run the fuel lines and make sure they're not kinked, loose, etc.

Grey smoke usually means you're sucking air

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its at the dealership and they are going to make good on it so hopefully its nothing major. Whats this wildman chip I here so much about and how much are they?

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the dealership finaly got a chance to look at it and they said that it was the lift pump, They have it running but they have to replace the sending unit in the fuel tank.