GPR bad, how to tell?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read a whole bunch of posts on the GPR in my truck, but can't figure out if I would still see the WTS ( glow plug) light for the normal 10 secs if it was bad.

How do you tell ( besides a no-start) that the GPR is bad. Mine clicks, and the light comes on for 10 sec seconds the first time, and then 3 or less from there on., but cold, i get no start without the infamous 'whiff' of ether.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to convert to a manual push button. The controllers are not worth replacing really. To tell if your relay is bad, just clip a test light across it's terminals. the light should be on all the time when the wait to start light is OUT and OUT when the wait to start light is ON.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the relay closes when power is removed from the relay? I'm confused now.

Which posts do i jumper with the test light? the small ones or the big wired ones?

I think my controller is good. Everything seems to work, just no start when it's below 50 degrees outside. Once running, it runs great! I don't think I have the right relay anyway. PO's mech I think used a starter solenoid, and not a correct GPR. see the middle of the pic below. Ignore the circle and the red arrows. Silver solenoid is connected to the GP's

You must be registered for see images attach