Gotta few questions.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok the ip was my whole starting problem.startes like a champ now. I asked for the mechanic to turn it up since I was in school and they told me it was maxed out.im gettin a pyro soon btw.any way we go to bring it home and there's no black smoke while driving.not even when it's to the floor. It smokes more when you lug it the before but not when gettin on it hard.the pump probley isn't timed right because he didn't have a timing meter for it.but could the muffler be acting as a filter.and no I'm not just wantin to roll coal I just wanted it turned up a little bit.also I'm wanting a tach so how would I hook that up. Thanks y'all for all the help that's been givin to me and thanks for any more help you give me I appreciate it a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta few questions also.
Where did you get the pump from?
How does the mechanic know the fuel screw is Maxed out?
When you Max out the fuel, this might happen, below picture!

The muffler won't act as a filter. Unless it's almost completely plugged, then the engine won't run worth a damn.

The IP needs to be timed after installing it.

Can't tell you about a TACH unless you indicate what transmision you have.

You need to put all the truck info in your signature.

Attachments

• 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 161
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 159

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
He opend it up and said wouldn't go any further. They timed it the best they could with out a meter.the pump it just a used pump that we got to see if that wa the startin issue but this pump may not be any good either but it does start better.as for transmission I've gotta 4 speed and it's 4x4

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I just can't see this pump bein any were near maxed out.ive seen maxed out trucks smoke a lot more then this.could it be maxed out but somethin in the pumps not lettin it push more fuel

I'll put all the truck info in my sig once I get in a computer or figure it out on my phone

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a worn out pump may be maxed and not able to move fuel as it is weeping past inside....

Timed as best they could without a meter, oh hell I hope you did NOT pay for that *****!

You could do it yourself for free.

Just adjust it a bit and retry, not happy a bit more, not happy go back the other way, there is no way anyone should pay for a time job when they don't have the required tools

JM2CW

Al

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of us time it by doing the best we can do. Timing meters are expensive for these trucks so most of us time it by ear. Read up on some of timing threads.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The search button IS your friend!
A used pump is normally pulled out of service for a reason!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most of us time it by doing the best we can do. Timing meters are expensive for these trucks so most of us time it by ear. Read up on some of timing threads.
:eek::eek::eek:
Thanks for my morning laugh. Where are you getting this"Most of us time by ear" thought....:dunno I offer a timing meter to anyone that wants one with all the tools and my personal cell number when they rent my meters. I have helped many a member here time their engines with never a bad result. If I had to point out one member that was having issues it would be the person that "had" someone change his pump for him but could not time it.so off went my meter. He called asking questions why the pump would not turn any more to the advance side. the pump had reached its max amount to adjustement because... The fool that installed the pump removed the pump, gear and gear cover. The gears did not get installed corrctly so the engine will never time up. Of course we have posting here telling us they paid for timing at a shop and it was done by ear.. Now thats a big laugh here. If anyone wants to pay to have their engine timed by ear please call me. I can do that over the phone if the lines are warm and clear....:rotflmao:angel:
True, its tuff finding anyone that will time our engines any more but. I sold 3 meters with all the tools rewuird to time out engines so they are out there. If your in Pa area Mel at Conestoga Diesel has a meter and is the best at what he does. He is world famous for the Moose Pump Product line too. If your in Oregon then typ4 aka Rus has a meter too. Many members have meters. What I offer is a chance for you to time your engine and get more out of it. Its what I do. So as for your comment I have to fly the flag...:bs:cheers:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:
Thanks for my morning laugh. Where are you getting this"Most of us time by ear" thought....:dunno I offer a timing meter to anyone that wants one with all the tools and my personal cell number when they rent my meters. I have helped many a member here time their engines with never a bad result. If I had to point out one member that was having issues it would be the person that "had" someone change his pump for him but could not time it.so off went my meter. He called asking questions why the pump would not turn any more to the advance side. the pump had reached its max amount to adjustement because... The fool that installed the pump removed the pump, gear and gear cover. The gears did not get installed corrctly so the engine will never time up. Of course we have posting here telling us they paid for timing at a shop and it was done by ear.. Now thats a big laugh here. If anyone wants to pay to have their engine timed by ear please call me. I can do that over the phone if the lines are warm and clear....:rotflmao:angel:
True, its tuff finding anyone that will time our engines any more but. I sold 3 meters with all the tools rewuird to time out engines so they are out there. If your in Pa area Mel at Conestoga Diesel has a meter and is the best at what he does. He is world famous for the Moose Pump Product line too. If your in Oregon then typ4 aka Rus has a meter too. Many members have meters. What I offer is a chance for you to time your engine and get more out of it. Its what I do. So as for your comment I have to fly the flag...:bs:cheers:
I was hoping you would see this one!
Research is good , thats why I joined up here!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What makes this forum th great forum it has become is the research thats done to find the best answer for the questions. This forum is world wide and its respected all over the world for being honest and true. I personally make it a point to look at the members post count when I answer a question. I'm not looking there to determine if I will help.I look at the count to attempt to understand what the member knows and how to word my answer so I don't talk down to them. Treating members and people at large is what makes this a better world. I have seen some answers that were less than fair. For the most part this forum will not beat up a member for asking a question thats sounding silly. We all came from the silly question areas once. Lord knows I spent plenty of money learning these trucks and engines at less than stellar shops and dealers. I continue to evolve and learn more here all the time. My post count of nearly 20,000 means nothing if I can't find the answer. some friends like to tease me about why my count is so high saying it because I post up so many great ebay deals. I enjoy the fun. A member busted my chops some time back for posting something he was watching on ebay. Had I known I would not have posted it but.. I watched another great deal on ebay where nobody bid on it. It was a missed opportunity for all here. So I posted that as a "See, I told you so". That item got relisted on ebay and it was sold immediately with the buy it now. The original listing also had the same buy it now price. So I'm not deterred from posting what I find on ebay for all to see. Also the only time I'm on another idi site is when thats linked to a post here. I'm not a member of any other idi site. This is where I like to be helping others.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
No we didn't pay for the pump or the work.the pump was pulled off a truck from eddy my dads hired hand the truck didn't run and we just wanted to test and see if that was my starting problem.the mechanic that did it works on my stuff for free cause I help him at his shop.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Um what threads are you referring to?

I've personally done a couple different timing threads and I don't recall anyone elses threads saying oh I can time by ear:rotflmao

I've got a big snow shovel here you can use to move that:bsright straight outta here!!

I've shown how to time with a pulse adapter and REGULAR timing light via the use of TIMING TAPE, I've show in video the Kent Morre J 33300 timing meter, I've also shown the marks on the IP and the harmonic so people know what to look for and where it's AT.

NOT ONCE in any thread was I suggesting to time by ear for a final setting.

I call :bs on this comment as it's crap, and as Gary said he rents the meters out, heck I even worked directly with him to get his timing meter program back up and running when it failed due to incompitent user abuse!

We are here and know what has been said in the threads, so please

EVERYONE we can help you time I'm in BC Canada and offer the support to the crowd!

Anyone who needs a timing job:rotflmao has access to the tools in the N American Continent if they choose to!

Don't listen to this do it by ear statement because we are here to help you do it correctly!

JM2CW

All

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
a worn out pump may be maxed and not able to move fuel as it is weeping past inside....

Timed as best they could without a meter, oh hell I hope you did NOT pay for that *****!

You could do it yourself for free.

Just adjust it a bit and retry, not happy a bit more, not happy go back the other way, there is no way anyone should pay for a time job when they don't have the required tools

JM2CW

Al

No we didn't pay for it.my dad helped with it while I was at school.im guessing the pump is worn out an won't push it.it may just need to be time

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
does it have a good rattle when started with advance on? what screw was the guy trying to turn? did he remove the triangle cover? I would get it timed first, then pull the triangle cover and try to turn it yourself if you bottom it back it off about 1/3 of a turn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance