Got her running, Now a smoke issue

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the '87 going after rehabbing the fuel selector valve. Starts easy, even when cold. The truck has been sitting pretty much all year without running so the fuel might be going bad-I don't know. But now when the truck sits and idles there is very little smoke. I was bringing it up to about 3k rpm and nothing unusual. And the truck has been running 45 minutes so it's good and warmed up. When I took it out on the street pulling away I'm leaving a cloud of smoke. So under a little stress-pulling it's own weight- I get smoke. I pull over put it in neutral and rev it- no smoke. Pull away, smokescreen.
I haven't checked compression yet, but I'm hoping it could be something other than rings. Maybe a valve guide?

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the fuel filter or at least drain a little bit of fuel from the water fuel separater to see what the fuel looks like. Also what kind of smoke are you seeing.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I'm getting white smoke. I just replaced the fuel filter so I don't think water is an issue. The fuel has a greenish color. I siphoned a little out into a clear bottle and it went brown overnite. It was running for close to an hour before I took it for a ride and there was no smoke. Only time it smoked was when I got on it-and I don't mean hammering it, just taking off from a light. Then it would stop once I got going. If the rings were going bad wouldn't it smoke all the time? I

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Diesel shouldn't go brown. Sounds like algae in the tank. Need a biocide and a ton of filters.
Reason it won't smoke revving it up is there's no load on the engine, start driving and the higher need for fuel is there, so when it can't supply enough, you get white smoke usually.
Also double check to make sure it's not sucking air anywhere.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it some new filters and an oil change and take it out and give it a good workout and see of it starts clearing up. Fill that fuel filter with some additive and the tanks too.. Could be retarded timing, Slobbering injectors, Or even a worn pump. But I'd give it a good workout first.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I just put a rebuilt pump on. No miles on it yet. And I just lined the pump up to where it was when I took it off. The pump is to the left a hair looking at it from the front. I just got done chasing down air leaks and I have it tight.
I pulled the dipstick while it was running and got some blow-by. How much pressure should I have down in the bottom, or is a little ok? Also had the air filter off and I'm seeing some blow-by coming out of the cdr. I know a little is normal, but how much is too much? Any advise would be great.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, you will almost always have blowby at idle, it you just break idle and it clears up, you have a good tight engine. You will get some steam/smoke looking out bot the CDR and the dipsitck or the oil fill if you have it open. If it smoke like a freightrain no matter where the RPM's are, you have a problem......

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that gives me some relief. I don't want to put a ton of time into a lost cause. It's a rust bucket but I can't not fix it--I like it too much.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is going to be raw unburned fuel, or coolant.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't smoke when idling, but smokes white under load, could it be the timing? It's a hair to the left of center right now which would mean it's advanced correct? I don't have a timing setup so I'm tryin to get it close right now. Think if I back it off a little it might help? I appreciate the help folks.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I got timing meter, and might be the closest to you with one. iam just south of Allentown pa

but yes timing can cause white smoke.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just went on ebay and picked up one of those fox valley probes. I'll give it a shot, and if that doesn't work I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks Have to go see me son one of these days in Oley. That close?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timing probably is your smoke issue. We can't stress it enough these engines need to be timed correctly to run correctly. Not knowing the timing is like driving with no fuel gauge and no speedometer. You have little idea where you are and what spped of miles are left in the tank. Find a way but get it timed. When you changed the fuel filter did you fill the new one with atf. If not thats something to do. Remove the filter. Pour out the fuel. Pour in atf ONLY thru the outside ring of small filter holes. That way the filter actually filters the atf or fuel you might add. Using the big.. Easy to reach center hole does nothing for the dirt. It goes directly into the injection pump. If your rich don't worry bout it. Just replace the new pump with another when it sucks up dirt and is ruined. This forum has figured out probably all the tricks to these engines and trucks. Ford Dealers will give you the finger and send you packing cause they don't want to work on something simple. No money in that and they don't have anyone that knows the engines like this forum does.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to time it as soon as the tools get here. And no, I didn't use ATF. I'll give it a shot though. I was too caught up in finding where all the air was coming in to the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online