Good Glow Plugs, Still Won't Start

Hangfire

Reaction score
I tried to start the ol' girl yesterday and got nothing but white smoke. Today I checked the GP's with a test light and they all check out okay. I just noticed a puddle of diesel fuel on my driveway right under the engine, have not been able to track it down yet. Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
white smoke *usually* means no heat in the cylinder to fire the fuel off. You say the GP's are OK, but is the GP RELAY ok?

Also, did you measure the GP's with an OHM meter? You want about .2 ohms optimal. Anything over 6 ohms and the GP's are toast.

Cant help on the puddle of fuel...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Your sucking air which is causing the white smoke. On these IDI's if you have a major air leak/fuel leak you get hard starts, stumbling once you get them started and a white smoke fogging machine like you would not believe. You need to find the source of the fuel leak. My first stop would be the return system (caps, o-rings and lines) as this is the most common place for leaks on the IDI. But typically a return line system leak is not that bad but there is always a chance.

When I sold the E she had a leak on the number 8 cap that would make her smoke like a house a fire (white) and she was a pain to get started but would start.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked fuel pressure or volume? low pressure from a lift pump will cause white smoke/hard/no starts. the injector pump itself could be the culprit but not too likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online