Going twin turbo.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just got my engine running finally and I have been sitting around thinking about what I dont like about the ATS turbo kit and what I do like about it. In the end I may not change anything but I think I can do better with 2 smaller turbos. I dont need to make anymore power than I planned but I am really hoping to cut down on my egt's. I personally feel like the single turbo and especially the ATS exhaust feed pipe cuts down on the potential of the engine and causes a big heat build up. Im hoping the 2 smaller turbos will work about the same but hold off egt's with a bit more flow but yet the same if not more agressive boost curve. If I dont see results I will put back on the ats kit and see what I can do with it. Either way watch for picks in the next month or so. I will be working on the twin kit and I will try and post pictures as I go. Im thinking of some gt25 turbos with .40 something A/R ratios. Each will have a 2.5" down pipe merging into a 4" pipe. I hope it works, I will just have to wait and see.

Lastly my reason for trying this-never seen it done and I still want to try something with these old IDI's. I have a 2" body lift so there is plenty of room. If all else fails I will still be able to say I atleast tride it.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be really sweet... However if you are only after lower egt's there are other alternatives like intercooling it, propane, water cooler, or even getting a nonwastegated turbo. I never even have to watch my pyro...

Do you know where you would place these two turbos??? Not a whole lot of room

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be really sweet... However if you are only after lower egt's there are other alternatives like intercooling it, propane, water cooler, or even getting a nonwastegated turbo. I never even have to watch my pyro...

Do you know where you would place these two turbos??? Not a whole lot of room

I got tons of room with my body lift. One on each side of the back of the engine. I have an aftercooler, but when I pull stuff I know it will get hot especially in the summer down here. We have never had an IDI that didnt so far. It may not work to well but I just want to try it anyways.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but when I pull stuff I know it will get hot especially in the summer down here

Yeah I know what you mean... Well good luck anyways and what do you plan on doing with your ATS if everything works out? I might be looking to do twins also, One gated and one Non-gated LOL LOL

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your on the right track. The ATS pipes really choke the engine. The Hypermax kit uses a design similar to the powerstroke trucks, but I feel the turbos are sized wrong for these engines. If you do anything with the turbo system you will need a pump that can flow more fuel to match the added airflow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online