Going again to look at a idi

503sp01

Reaction score
going to go and look at a 86 6.9 today the guy lost the keys theoretically I could run 12v to the pump and jump the starter and it should fire he thinks the lift pump took a crap

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with larson on this one, but anything is possible. You might want to verify that he has the title in hand before you touch the truck.

Whatever you do, make sure the engine's stone-cold before you try to light it off. If he's gotten the engine running and warmed up before you get there, go back another time. He could be masking a cold-start problem, which may be as simple as bad glow plugs but could also indicate low compression.

For that matter, while running 12 volts to the fuel shut-off solenoid on the injector pump will bypass the key switch, you'll also want to activate the glow plug system...on an '86, that should be as simple as running 12 volts to the small wire on the glow plug relay (should have a purple wire on there at the moment); just keep 12 volts on for 8 seconds, then off for 8 seconds, and cycle it a few times like that before trying to turn over the engine. DO NOT let the plugs cycle for longer than 7 or 8 seconds without an 8 second cooling off time in between, otherwise you risk burning out the lugs and having swelled tips.

Hope this helps some...good luck!

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did he tear out the ignition lock on the steering column? W/o ignition key or tearing apart lock, I can't steer my 86. I can crank and run engine.

503sp01

Reaction score
He had the truck up on the mt and load the keys in the snow and hasn't put a new tumbler in it he has the title I just want to see if I can get to fire before I offer him anything

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the very first 2 questions that are to be asked are...
may I see the registration and your drivers license please.

I can tell you first ******* hand, its no ******* fun sitting in the back of a patrol car with a ******** ******* investigator that thinks you stole a truck when the plate and the vin number are still on the vehicle.

bottom line.
ITS.NOT.WORTH.IT.

I apologize for the vulgarity. its a very dear subject to me.

503sp01

Reaction score
No worries I think it's a dud any way it didn't sound to good trying to start

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really comes down to price.
I've gotten a couple of gems, because of little issues. Yes, you always take a chance on these things, but:
1. Hard to start? 99% of the time it's glorw plugs or the glow plug system. You can always disconnect a few plugs and use a shot of ether.
2. Cranks over slowly? Batteries, starter are likely. I often end up bringing a set of batteries to a Craigslist deal.
3. Smoking? Usually fuel system related. All of the trucks I've bought have needed timing adjustments, and had crummy fuel systems. It's just the nature of the beast.

Also, when an IDI sits for a long while, the lifters will pump down a bit. It'll clatter and sound weird for up to a minute after starting before smoothing out.
A leaky injector(remember what I said about crummy fuel systems?) will also cause a miss for a while after startup, and /maby/ smooth out afterwards depending on how bad the injector is.