Glow plug solenoid

diesel dummy

Reaction score
I have a 87 7.3 idi and need to get the glow plug system working like it should.My question is the solenoid that sits on the controller for the glow plugs the same as the starter solenoid that sits on the fender well?It sure looks the same. :dunno

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
no, the starter relay on the fender and the glow plug relay that sits on the glow plug controller are two different relays. you can get a whole new glow plug relay/contoller combo from rock auto for like $60.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, the starter relay on the fender and the glow plug relay that sits on the glow plug controller are two different relays. you can get a whole new glow plug relay/contoller combo from rock auto for like $60.

Well I replaced the GPC and glowers in my truck and it did not fix my issues I was having. I replaced the solenoid on the passenger fender and it fixed my GP system so I am thinking it does control the glowers in some way or another.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
it sends power from the battery to the glow plug relay. you have the 6.9 system though. i am not sure how that system works exatcly. but on the 7.3L's a small wire goes from the batter + to a post on the fender mounted relay, then a wire is run from that post to the bat + post on the glow plug relay.

diesel dummy

Reaction score
I dont think I said that right.My glow plug controller does not have a relay mounted on top of it.While looking into getting the right relay it looks the same as the starter relay.The only difference I can see is the glow plug relay is $66 and the starter relay is $16 I am not sure if they are interchangeable or not or do I need to spend the $66.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diesel dummy,
I bought a glow plug relay at O'reilleys for very little money. If it dies, I may pull it open and see if it has bar contacts or ring contacts. That's the difference between them AFAIK. Then again since it is lifetime warranty, I may just bring it back if I need to. For the price and by the reason that it had "GPR" in the part number, I decided to risk it.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
The starter relays can be bar-type, as they really only trigger the solenoid, and handle far less power than the glow plugs.

I recently made a manual glow system, and I used a relay from International that is identical to the ring-type contactor on the controller (well almost; the mounting tabs are 90* off so you can't just replace the relay on the controller :rolleyes:, but otherwise identical in amperage). I wanted to be sure that the relay could handle the power, so far so good. Use a cheapo bar-type at your own risk, and FYI the cheapo controllers have bar-type contactors, too. The real deal will set you back at least $140 (International wanted $200 :eek:) Just my experience here, your mileage may vary.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NAPA has a GPR #GP109 or you can order a super GPR from Mouser Electronics $52 it's a Stancor White Rogers P/N 802-586-902, there good for 200 Amps and will last forever. The physical size is much larger but can be mounted OK.

Edit: This is the Stancor Relay.

Attachments

• 7_3%20glowplug%20controller%20&%20relay.JPG
    7_3%20glowplug%20controller%20&%20relay.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 586_902_clip.jpg
    586_902_clip.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads