Glow plug power wire help?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm not home, and I'm trying to help my wife get Diego started after sitting all winter. She's got some relatively competent help, but not a diesel guy at all. I think that I've covered all the bases in an email, except for one. Probably not going to need it, but if ether is needed, I want to make sure that he disables the GPs. I'm going to send this picture. Red 12v keyed power, same location on all. Regardless of wire color? Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Red will be on one small lug (normally on the drivers side closest to the firewall, but verify) and the white is on the other small post ( normally on passenger side, closer to the IP, but...)

I normally pull the white wire, as it’s what the controller pulls to ground to trigger the relay ( this is also where I connect a grounded push button for manual override, but that’s a different thread)

If either the red or white from either post is removed, the relay shouldn’t trigger.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red will be on one small lug (normally on the drivers side closest to the firewall, but verify) and the white is on the other small post ( normally on passenger side, closer to the IP, but...)

I normally pull the white wire, as it’s what the controller pulls to ground to trigger the relay ( this is also where I connect a grounded push button for manual override, but that’s a different thread)

If either the red or white from either post is removed, the relay shouldn’t trigger.

Thanks a lot!
Just thinking out loud, but if I had an appropriately rated three position toggle switch (on/off/momentary on) mounted in the cab, spliced in to the white (ground) wire I could set it up for normally functioning /GP off/manual over ride. Does that sound about right to you?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It should. It wouldn’t have to be a very “big” switch, since it would only be passing enough current to energize the relay, not supply current to the plugs.

Just remember, the off and constant on, would be to allow or disable the automatic function. The momentary on would need to be a separate path to ground and the relay.

It would have to work like two different switches. The on/off would be one, to only open or close factory wire. The momentary would have to supply an independent ground to trigger the relay, no matter what the factory white wire is doing. I hope that makes sense.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should. It wouldn’t have to be a very “big” switch, since it would only be passing enough current to energize the relay, not supply current to the plugs.

Just remember, the off and constant on, would be to allow or disable the automatic function. The momentary on would need to be a separate path to ground and the relay.

It would have to work like two different switches. The on/off would be one, to only open or close factory wire. The momentary would have to supply an independent ground to trigger the relay, no matter what the factory white wire is doing. I hope that makes sense.
Perfect sense, thanks.
For the moment, I'll just focus on my buddy getting the Diego, the white truck in my avatar up and running for my wife to drive until I get back on the 23rd. The three position switch will be going in Raylan my new '94 factory turbo 4X4. After the transmission swap...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert