Gear Vendors - really worth it?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I've been doing alot of research recently on Gear Vendros aux trans. Pretty impressive stuff!! But I want to get some personnal experiense thaughts on them. Is there anyone on here that has one on their trucks? and does it really make a big differents in power/fuel economy? I would get this for the 6.9 Diesel Motorhome, cause it's really pushing it's self to the limit in hills having that 11k pounds on it's back. And the N/A 6.9 C6 3.55 combo is not the best setup for hill climbing.

Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Anytime you can stay in the engines power range when you need it, it is going to be to your advantage, However, I used to have a shop working on European cars and I've had to rebuild my fair share of laycock overdrive units ( same unit GV uses ) and they aren't all that bullet proof, and there are numerous accounts on the web of folks with RVs going near broke with GV units failing under warranty and having to have trailers towed to camgrounds and then tow vehicles towed many states away to the nearest authorized GC service center that fixes the things, then they have, bus fare to go retrieve their vehicle and fuel back to the trailer

So I opted to install an old 3 speed brownie unit from a big truck and when I did it, I saved the old driveshafts so if anything happens to the box on the road, I can have it towed into any shop and in under 2 hours labour they can yank the box and shafts and throw them in the bed and pop the factory driveshafts back on ;Sweet

If someone had their heart set on a GV, they do sell an option for a divorced unit with ujoints on both ends, and I would advise rigging up the same way if you are going to be traveling away from home, instead of going with the bit that replaces the tailsection of the tranny.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I've been doing alot of research recently on Gear Vendros aux trans. Pretty impressive stuff!! But I want to get some personnal experiense thaughts on them. Is there anyone on here that has one on their trucks? and does it really make a big differents in power/fuel economy? I would get this for the 6.9 Diesel Motorhome, cause it's really pushing it's self to the limit in hills having that 11k pounds on it's back. And the N/A 6.9 C6 3.55 combo is not the best setup for hill climbing.

Thanks

Short answer, no it does not really do anything for power, but it will help out fuel economy. Just don't expect a lot of improvement.

Bottom line is when you are in 3rd gear with the C6, and you kick in the GV, It will drop your RPM,s about 500. That is the advantage.

I love mine!

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had one in for about a month or two, divorced unit behind a t19, and honestly would agree with rldsl....I am looking for other options. I have never had any problems, but could really use more top end when running empty.

Honestly, based on my experience with running my rig (crew cab dually w/4.10's, usually grossing somewhere in the 10k~11k range) in the california hills if you want the simplicity of a gv unit I would also consider swapping to 4.10's...If you do that you probably wont see a milage improvement, but would deffinatly pull the hills better. Going with a brownie unit or something similar would really give you the best of all worlds...you could keep your 3.55's and have an od for flatlands, and then also have an underdrive for the grades....just thoughts

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Well in your case, you've already got 3.55's so an overdrive won't help on the hills. When I had a 4.10 with GV combo, that was really the ultimate deal for pulling on the highway (basically what your motorhome is doing). I went to 3.55's mainly cause I got greedy on rpm's and now I hardly use the GV. I just recently pulled my brother in laws boat for him with my 3.55's and I was not real happy with my hill climbing abilities. My 3.55/GV combo is only really good for commuting purposes. If you've got a few extra bucks, maybe look into some basic performance type mods to help out.

DragRag

Reaction score

Thanks

I would suggest 4.10's and a gearvendor. I have this set up on my avatar and really like it.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I also thaught of finding an old Brownie box, but I thaught it couldn't be instaled to a C6. Guess might be something to think of...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Anytime you can stay in the engines power range when you need it, it is going to be to your advantage, However, I used to have a shop working on European cars and I've had to rebuild my fair share of laycock overdrive units ( same unit GV uses ) and they aren't all that bullet proof, and there are numerous accounts on the web of folks with RVs going near broke with GV units failing under warranty and having to have trailers towed to camgrounds and then tow vehicles towed many states away to the nearest authorized GC service center that fixes the things, then they have, bus fare to go retrieve their vehicle and fuel back to the trailer

So I opted to install an old 3 speed brownie unit from a big truck and when I did it, I saved the old driveshafts so if anything happens to the box on the road, I can have it towed into any shop and in under 2 hours labour they can yank the box and shafts and throw them in the bed and pop the factory driveshafts back on ;Sweet

If someone had their heart set on a GV, they do sell an option for a divorced unit with ujoints on both ends, and I would advise rigging up the same way if you are going to be traveling away from home, instead of going with the bit that replaces the tailsection of the tranny.

btw do you have any pictures of this hooked up? im very intested in seeing this

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
on my roadtrip home grossing over 18,000 and pulling a rediculous amount of hills i was really thinking that a GV unit would be a huge asset being able to split the gears. there were many times that if i only could have increased by 250 rpm it would have been perfect. instead i have to lug down a bit low, then shift and rev higher than needed. so it would help mpg empty and make towing a nicer experience in my thinking. im just worried about all these stories of them having trouble.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a gv in my truck. I also run a 3.55 gear setup. Driving up to Towcats bbq last weekend I got 18 mpg driving from 75 to 85 mph. I'm able to pull 1600 rpm at 75 mph and at 85 mph I'm turning 1800 rpm... My final drive gear ratio is 1.96 and I'm in double overdrive. With the way I built my motor I'm able to easily run at these speeds and rpm. Yes...I would say the gv is worth the money. I do tow heavy too. So as the grades get taller I can shift into second over and get a 4.26 gear ratio. That pulls really easy. I have 8 forward gears to choose from too... More gears means more fun....:sly

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep in mind nothing is bullet proof and it is much easier to find horror stories than success stories....I know alot of people from the old gasser class a motorhome days that have run for several years without issue.

Not that I am pushing the product either way, but every horror story I have read includes the phrase "it wont shift".....honestly, this is not the same as being stranded waiting for parts somewhere because its locked up your driveline...this is more like "my gear ratios suck like they did before"

just wanting to try to keep a little perspective

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my GV let go I couldn't go anywhere w/o 4wd. Main shaft snapped and GV wanted
to sell me a new one for too much $$$. Guess I'm not a fan!

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gear vender

Jon unless your rich don't get into it I just took out my 4.10 rear and put in the 3.55. with 4.10 the motor is crying for mercy at 65 70 mph 3.55 are for the highway it's the 6.9 thats a little low on the power, tune up the 6.9