Gear Vendors not working

rk2334

Reaction score
I have problem with the gear vendors, its not running properly when I turn it on it engaged for 2 or3 second then disengaged for 2 or 3 seconds by itself and keep on this condition until I turn it off from the switch. I tried from different speed, same thing happened. Oil level is ok (Used auto trans red line 75w80).
No GV electronics used, only connected directly through relay and pilot switch.
Solenoid clicking when activated. Power source is stable and continues when switch on and off when switch off.

Any help is appreciated :hail

Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly, it's cycling on and off on its own. Most likely, a presure problem. Have you removed the filter screen and cleaned it? Does it do it at all speeds, or only the low end? Your not running the monitoring electronics, so how do you keep from forgetting to disengage it before the speed drops too low and the clutches slip?

Deib

Reaction score
Dirty screen, weak or sticky solenoid, or internal leak.

Jack up the rear of the truck and put it on jack stands.
There is a pressure port right in front of the solenoid. Remove the plug.
Put the truck in drive.
Activate the solenoid by alternate power supply or plugging it in while under there.

The stream of oil out of the pressure port should be pretty solid. Not just a dribble. It has to have good pressure.
If there is good pressure your solenoid and pump are good. That leaves internal leak, or electronic issue like bad ground or power supply. A bad connection like a dirty spade connector or butt connecter will do what you describe. It will make a connection until it gets hot and then stop until it cools down.
Once you verify it is not electrical you need to tear apart the gv.

If you have little or no pressure out of that port then you have a bad solenoid or plugged filter screen. Could be a bad pump but that is just not common.

rk2334

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Thank you all I found the problem ,it was as Mr. Deib
Said bad connection. I jacked up the car last night and found ground connector slightly loss, tighten it up with player then test the car ten miles on road, gv engaged normal.
Still I'm worried about the oil Im using. Is auto trans red line 75w80 better to use or manual trans redline 75w90? All of them synthetic.

Thanks for your help ;Sweet

Deib

Reaction score
There really isn't much difference between the two, maybe the additive package is different. The important thing is drain it often.

Synthetic manual trans fluid it what is recommended. Stick with that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the lubes recommended by GV the last time I checked with them (which has been 5 or 10 years I guess)

Gear Vendors Libricants
Mopar 04874459 Synthetic Change at 15K
GM 12346190 Synthetic Change at 15K
GM 1052271 Mineral Change at 10K.