~~~~!!!!!Gauging interest!!!!!~~~~

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If we were to follow current rules, there'd be a bunch of non-turbo'd trucks ambling down the track:eek:

I agree. The last bracket race I went to was won by a 1980 or so Plymouth Volare station wagon, 4 cylinder running like 17 second 1/8 mile times (IIRC). It was painful to watch, but he could stage it, cut the lights with a decent reaction time, and had no worries, no tire slip, etc. Hell, it took a whole second to drag the tires out of the staging beam! (you know how sticky the staging beam can be!) :) Anyway, they would be doing themselves no favors on ticket sales to have a ton of guys show up running 18 or 19 second quarter mile runs. I like IDI's but that would get boring! I would think maybe a limitation to a single fuel system might be good as well. Remember that GM pulling tractor with the dual IP's?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now correct me if im wrong but wouldnt a turbo idi be considered stock?last i checked stock motor meant it had to be stock from whatever it came out of.so if they was to ask you could say the motor is a 94 idi turbo.as long as yall aint runnin no funky stuff under the hoods you should be fine.

i go to new england dragway on friday nights with my PSD and it passes tech with no problems.its not full out competition but the tech inspection must be the same though.make sure your batts are secured,you have an overflow tank for the radiator,good tires,brakes and all that.as for the smoke i havent been ******* at yet.click the video link in my signature and watch the mustang video.you will see the chick in the middle push the button and run like hell!!!i smoked her once and she learned to push and run :rotflmao :rotflmao

tractorman86

Reaction score
i would be very interested if there was anything close to me...the one in west valley city is like 8-900 miles away.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now correct me if im wrong but wouldnt a turbo idi be considered stock?last i checked stock motor meant it had to be stock from whatever it came out of.so if they was to ask you could say the motor is a 94 idi turbo.as long as yall aint runnin no funky stuff under the hoods you should be fine.

i go to new england dragway on friday nights with my PSD and it passes tech with no problems.its not full out competition but the tech inspection must be the same though.make sure your batts are secured,you have an overflow tank for the radiator,good tires,brakes and all that.as for the smoke i havent been ******* at yet.click the video link in my signature and watch the mustang video.you will see the chick in the middle push the button and run like hell!!!i smoked her once and she learned to push and run :rotflmao :rotflmao
rich-
it goes by year of chassis not year of motor. if it wasn't stock in the chassis, you can't run it. technically, only the '93 and '94 trucks could have turbo since they were factory. chevy didn't get a turbo until '92 and dodge got them from '89. so guess what's going to be showing up most often?-cuss

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody bought the rule book yet? :popcorn

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody bought the rule book yet? :popcorn
i'll buy a book just for ***** and giggles. If they're serious though, have a rep show up and tell us a little more of the class they're proposing. I'm most interested in their parameters for the powerplants and if they are putting us into the pit with the computerized trucks. from what I see, there's five classes right now and bracket racing was what got me to park my gassers. there's nothing more irritating than that damned 25sec beater running up against a built car. if we are put in to provide fodder for the built computerized trucks, there's no purpose. one more thing, do they have any intention of putting out any event on the left coast?
http://www.dhraonline.com/dragracingseries_43.shtml

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
it goes by year of chassis not year of motor. if it wasn't stock in the chassis, you can't run it. technically, only the '93 and '94 trucks could have turbo since they were factory. chevy didn't get a turbo until '92 and dodge got them from '89. so guess what's going to be showing up most often?-cuss

hmm.i was always told that if it was a factory powerplant and factory parts used on it that it was "stock".now to run in a "stock" class you also have to have factory bore,rods,crank,pistons,cam and heads.if thats the case than those of us with rebuilt engines that have been bored cant run.if somebody wanted to be a **** cuz they got beat by an IDI they could contest your motor and have it ripped apart.and if your bore aint stock then your disqualified.in wich i couldnt run my IDI as it was rebuilt and im sure it was bored.:dunno :dunno

hell i wouldnt even be able to run my psd in a stock class.only thing stock is the motor.everything that makes it run and attached to it is not stock for a 95 psd :eek: :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm.i was always told that if it was a factory powerplant and factory parts used on it that it was "stock".now to run in a "stock" class you also have to have factory bore,rods,crank,pistons,cam and heads.if thats the case than those of us with rebuilt engines that have been bored cant run.if somebody wanted to be a **** cuz they got beat by an IDI they could contest your motor and have it ripped apart.and if your bore aint stock then your disqualified.in wich i couldnt run my IDI as it was rebuilt and im sure it was bored.:dunno :dunno

hell i wouldnt even be able to run my psd in a stock class.only thing stock is the motor.everything that makes it run and attached to it is not stock for a 95 psd :eek: :D
rich-
if it's anything like NHRA, they don't dwell on details that deep. At least I hope not. When I ran my gassers, I did everything I could to keep it "stock appearing" The car was a 1973 Buick GS. From the factory it came with a 455 with the big valve heads. but that's where I took off from there. The internals had pistons spec'd for a 1970(10.5cr vs 8.5cr), There was a Edelbrock B4B intake on it, with all the Edelbrock ID ground off and sandblasted. Everything internally was port matched and blueprinted. The carb was already 800cfm but was rejetted for more fuel. The cam was snotty enough for a lope but nothing overly obnoxious. The trans was a THM400 but had the variable pitch setup to change the stall speed on the convertor. It took some time but I did find a 3.42 posi rear for it too. Front swaybar was disconnected at the track for the 70/30 shocks that was repainted Monroe blue to work better. Lastly, there was no sound deadner or thermal insulation under my carpets. You got baked alive driving to and from the track. Four years of tuning the whole mess and it got me 13.20-13.28avg. times. Not bad for a 3700lb sled. Yup, I was even right at my minimum weight for the car. Car never got opened up for a close inspection, after all I wasn't doing anything other than "casual" racing.;p
Bottom line is depending on what DHRA's true intentions are, the IDI class(ford/chevy/dodge) could be interesting depending on how committed they are on making it work.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. It could lead to some new performance products for these motors..........as racing drives development of those parts and we all benefit. I would certainly get involved at Beech Bend if there were an IDI class from the DHRA.

Heath

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm, guys, if it's going to be an IDI only class, there will be no Goat jockeys involved... Unless someone finds a Mitsubishi powered late 70's truck, but those barely exist... LOL
An IDI only class could make for some really good racing, you'd be looking at pretty much 6.2/5 and 6.9/7.3 only, depending on the rules, that could make for some very competitive oldschool trucks. Maybe sneak in a Barnett TT 7.9 stroker... LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it would be sweet if a DHRA guy would come in and tell us what to expect so we can ask them questions and they can ask us questions.if they were to work with us IDI guys we can come up with fair rules between the ford and chevy guys to make sure it is and stay competitive and fair for all.ford and chevy guys working with the rule makers will make for some fair and fun racing.

calvin,that buick sounds like it was a fun car!i seen what a half dead pontiac 455 can do.lets just say it sent the owner of a highly built chebby in a nove home crying.big ole 74 grandville laid down some rubber in all 3 gears while the chebby just about puked when it hit 2nd :rotflmao :rotflmao ill never build a chevy motor!i also experienced a 600HP 455 in my 66 grand prix.had a guy decide he was gonna jump me at a light 1 night.i stood it up on the converter and launched at about 2500RPM(tci saturday night special 3500RPM stall :D )i let that thing loose and i swear the front wheels werent touching pavement.felt the shocks top out and the front end rise some more :eek: :eek: :flush and steering was easy.i let right out of it and dropped it back on the ground.scared the chit out of me!i wouldnt play it like that after that night,i was afraid of it.

sootman73

Reaction score
i was very close to running my truck in the ET bracket at the indy dhra. i couldn't afford to spend 75 bucks to run own the track three times. probably woulda done pretty good. very little variation with my truck! i would really like to be able to run against idi's like mine. found a truck just like mine except it was brown. same things done to it just as mine. it would really be nice to find more idi guys to hang with at such events and i think it would really help with pulling them in. whether they run or not.

if they had such a class i would def run! there are three events in my range of travel. indy is the farthest. and thats a tradition anymore.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they would ever bring an event to Gainesville Raceway. My truck is pretty redneck so passing a stiff inspection, I'm not sure. I'm really thinking of looking into the Aug 9th DHRA event there. Never been to such an event, wouldn't know what to expect but sure am curious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86