"fun reading" for those with hydroboost ???

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know how I found these guys, but the reading is great if you are the techie type and want to know everything before you make a change in your truck. (POKE HERE) If nothing else, you have learned a little something more.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
That was interesting reading some stuff I didn't know or realize. I have had trucks (F-Supers) with hydroboost for the last 5 years now the last truck I had with vacuum boost was a 1980 F-350.

I'am used to having the good braking power the hydroboost provides I never had any problems with mine. I doubt I would ever go back to a vacuum booster set up if I get a F-350 4x4 I will be converting it to hydroboost brakes.

I think if anybody that has driven a truck with hydroboost prolly wouldn't want to go back to vacuum brakes either.

I have had to lock them up a few times because some of these people in the neighbourhood don't walk their dog on a leash and the stupid thing darts out in the middle of the road :mad:

My old 1980 with brand new brakes wouldn't ever lock up the rear duals you damn near had to put both feet on the brake pedal to get it to stop hard.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having that for my truck. I am in serious need for some good brakes, that is once I get done with all the power stuff. That looks like it would be an awesome system for us guys with trailers that haul in the mountains alot. Scotty

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
beretzs said:
I wouldn't mind having that for my truck. I am in serious need for some good brakes, that is once I get done with all the power stuff. That looks like it would be an awesome system for us guys with trailers that haul in the mountains alot. Scotty
Scotty-
I tell ya, there's nothing else like it when you slam on the brakes and for a moment the pedal drops to the floor. But that's OK. Its a characteristic of hydro......when the boost pressure catches up, that's when you really gotta "hang on" because EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT TIED DOWN is gonna take flight towards the front of your truck. I've grossed over 15k on the carrier and had to panic stop a few time due to idiots cutting me off. That "two car" space in front of my is for "your safety" so I don't steamroll you! :D But guess what.....the hydro kept me from turning the idiot into road pizza ;Sweet Part of the major refit on the CC, is the addition of hydro off a parts truck F450. So..... yup, I have my hands full.

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"pedal drops to the floor", Towcat?

I thought the HB eliminated the 1" freeplay of the vac-booster systems??

Will the HB co-exist OK with the RABS on my 91 F350 4x4 ??

hmmm....it'd be kinda nice to have a small hyd. accumulator in the system....to give a guy a few extra strokes after an engine failure...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dozer said:
"pedal drops to the floor", Towcat?

I thought the HB eliminated the 1" freeplay of the vac-booster systems??

Will the HB co-exist OK with the RABS on my 91 F350 4x4 ??

hmmm....it'd be kinda nice to have a small hyd. accumulator in the system....to give a guy a few extra strokes after an engine failure...
Dozer-
Its kinda hard to describe until you have driven your first hydro'd brake system. In "normal" braking, the hydro system feels a little spongy. But you learn the travel and control points with the system. In "panic" braking situations, it can be a little unnerving. The boost is working but it takes a moment for the system to "catch up". When it does, its qutie interesting since you'd never expect that much weight to come to a halt that fast.
As far as the rear ABS is concerned, I can't answer that question since most of the trucks I own either have had the ABS disconnected and bypassed or it was never equiped with. The '92 F350 that I am putting back together has ABS and I will keep I until I figure out how the speedo can be isolated from the rest of the system. and then the ABS will be gone.

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks towcat.

I guess that sounds like a negative for having anyone else drive the truck. Sure, I can learn it, but that occasional driver....look out! :D

The ABS in the ZJ is great, but the one in the 91 F350 is a little...odd, I guess....clunky...crude...whatever.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Dave Sponaugle said:
Wish I could see that article, I am getting ready to do that to mine.

Itried to read it too, but it came up with a search page cause it could not find the url. luckily i was able to view a cached page

BTW-welcome aboard dave.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave Sponaugle said:
Wish I could see that article, I am getting ready to do that to mine.
Outside of the info in the above posts, what else do you need to research on? Ask away here! :D I've been dealing with hydro brakes for over 10 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin