fummins fuel plate question

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
It seems I may have some spare cash soon and I'm looking for a 12 valve Cummins, I looked at fuel plates to bump the power up a bit, I noticed most are for 94-98 trucks, not much for 91-93, can anyone fill me in on the differences? How rare is the inline pump in the pickups? This will replace a 460 my IDI truck will remain.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
94-98 12 valves have the P7100 pump, those are the ones that have fuel plates. These are the inline pumps and come on every single cummins within these years.

89-93 12 valves have VE pumps, which you can get fuel pins for.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
89-93 uses a Bosch rotary pump.(see !st gen in the dodge section)
94-98 uses a Bosch inline pump.(see 94-98 in the dodge section)
drop by the dodge section and start reading;Sweet
you of all people should know better than asking to be spoonfed.:backoff

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Thanks I'll see what I can find surfing from the smart phone is a little restricted, I was a little confused after reading wikepedia's Cummins B series page.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a 12V Cummins with Allison tranny here in Ohio on craigslist. Lima/Findlay--Auto parts. I'll see if I can find it.
Whoops-- This one without the tranny, just the TC.

email this posting to a friend lima-findlay craigslist > for sale / wanted > auto parts
please flag with care: [?]

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Cummins 12 valve - $2500 (gibsonburg)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-05-30, 9:24PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have Cummins 6bt 12 valve ...Gots 150,000 miles on it fleet maintained ...came outta a 94 bus ran good and strong when pulled ...has everything including turbo and p pump and torque converter ....motor is in primer ready for paint...$2500.00 obo includes intercooler 419 307 660seven. names josh

looking to possibly trade for build 454 with trans and torque converter all complete for truck. running in good condition no junk

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2411650333

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

Last edited:

letsfindout

Reaction score
You can grind the pin, and grind the shim under the diaphragm. Need much more than that and you're looking at a pump build.

- Ken

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this what your looking for in plates?

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
12v cummins delivery valves $200 brand new 191 - $200 (kettering,ohio)

Date: 2011-04-27, 10:42PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a set of 12v cummins delivery valves I. Put them in my 1994 12v cummins but but had to take them out cause in a 94 they have a smaller pump and it was spuddering at low rpm but give me a call ill 937 27o 3oo7

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2350339179

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm trying to repower on a budget, I'd rather have an inline pump or a dt360 but with an $800 adapter and an engine I can have a running truck with room under the hood for some toys, air compressor, ect I'd like to get in the 500# torque range for towing.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to repower on a budget, I'd rather have an inline pump or a dt360 but with an $800 adapter and an engine I can have a running truck with room under the hood for some toys, air compressor, ect I'd like to get in the 500# torque range for towing.
If you are trying to cram in a Cummins on a "budget" you're only fooling yourself. That's prolly why the guy with the 'burb and Cummins ran out of money before finishing it. Especially with you looking at an inline, you're in the puller league. At least with the rotary pump Cummins you can fool yourself into thinking that you are saving fuel.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I think he had other issues, it was at his parents house half an hour away and he was working crazy hours, he had almost all the parts when I was down there, I'm surprised it didn't get done.

As far as budget, i'd like to get it done for $3000 and engines don't cost what they used to, but the inline pump adds almost a grand

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he had other issues, it was at his parents house half an hour away and he was working crazy hours, he had almost all the parts when I was down there, I'm surprised it didn't get done.

As far as budget, i'd like to get it done for $3000 and engines don't cost what they used to, but the inline pump adds almost a grand
there's no doubt the motor prices are coming down. problem is, the miles are even bigger compared to the past. now you are looking at having to swap out rod and main bearings if you find a motor cheap. but there are $1000 rotary pumped drop-ins that can be found. you still can't get a inline pump motor for less than $3k without needing work. add in the adapter plate and frame mods, you still are hitting the $1500 mark realistically just for making room to drop it in. at least you can reuse the trans and radiator or those two will take a big bite out of your ass.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I should have roughly $1500 into my 91 cummins before its ready to drop in. Junkyard deal, but doing bearings for ease of mind.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have roughly $1500 into my 91 cummins before its ready to drop in. Junkyard deal, but doing bearings for ease of mind.
your deal was definitely the exception to the norm. finding an intact motor with good compression is not common at all. did you do a compression and head gasket yet? I would if I were you. these motors are a tight fit against the firewall and you will play hell taking out the back bolts. it's almost an engine pull to do the head gasket.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Calvin, since I have the engine sitting out I'm doing new rings, rod and main bearings, and a full gasket replacement. Will also clean the head and exhaust manifold up some as well. I did not do a compression test, wish I would have. Cylinders had some rust do to no intake on it so water got in a couple cylinders. Its only surface rust that should just come right off though.

Killer dowel pin will be fixed as well.

Right now I'm right at $800, which is $500 for engine, and $300 for a full head work. Rings, bearings, and gaskets are $550 shipped to me, though I need to tear into it to see if I can go standard size. KDP is roughly $75-100