fuel system upgrade

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thinkin about pickin up a spare vp44 and throwin on an airdog system as the lift pump, instead of the FASS direct replacement. anyone know a good system thats on the cheaper side of things? also im gettin some white/grey smoke at startup and it blows out the tailpipe for a little while, maybe the first 5 minutes of driving. its minimal but i have no clue what it could be

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
has the white smoke just started because the air temps are lower. All my diesels have always smoked a little upon start up when the air temps dropped until the engine got up to a certain temp.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it wasnt doin it when it was warm, weve got 3 more diesels, isuzu straight 6, and 03 common rail cummins and they dont puff white smoke. the isuzu used to, but since the glow plugs were changed theres nothing. maybe the grid heater on the cummins needs to be changed?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
That could be a very good possibility - I always had mine unhooked as the truck really didn't need it to start - she just complained a little with the white smoke for a few and maybe some coughing on start up but she would still start after sitting outside in below zero temps. I figured I wanted the amps for cranking not heating the air temp going into the engine since in my cummins it didn't technically NEED the grid heater.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im gonna plug the truck in and see how it is. also do you know anything about swapping a 12v into a gmc with a 4l80e auto? is it possible?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
anything is possible with enough work. I've not done a conversion yet.... yet is the key word... but if you can find an adapter for the trans to mate to the engine then you should be good - it will be just a matter of getting the electronics to communicate between the two because if I'm not mistaken that trans is computer controlled... I could be wrong but that is what I was thinking... So it's gonna want to read throttle pedal travel / position. That might be just a matter of hitching up the pot (TPS) to the injection pump in some way shape or form. Because I'm pretty sure that the trans relies on that to tell it when to down shift, when to shift up and how much pressure to apply to the clutches.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might be a 4l80 with no electronic shift. idk. probably not gonna swap it anyway. but i have to ask, you seem to know your way around these quite a bit, i need to know how to swap a vp44 pump out, swap a dodge auto tranny, and make it manual. as well as find an oil leak coming from the front of my block. i know this is asking alot but if you could help me i couldnt thank you enough