fuel pump question

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am putting my used hypermax system on my truck this weekend. In later weeks i plan on replacing the lift pump. I know my stock injection pump will not turn up much more. Will putting the holley electric pump on give me more fuel flow capabilities, possibly putting off bying a new injection pump for a while. I have no starting problems now so I don't see any other reason than flow for going electric. Please tell me what you think.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I don't think it will make a difference on the flow your ip delivers to the injectors unless you aren't getting enough from the mechanical lift pump now. The ip pressurizes the fuel for delivery so it just needs ample supply. Forcing more to it won't give you more at the injectors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now thats not exactly correct. Ken at DPS runs a higher lift pump pressure and that coupled with his trick injection pump puts out more horsepower that the stock 5 to 7 lb lift pump setting. I really never got how much higher the pressure was but I sure would like to know. Our systems run just fine with 5 to 7 lbs of lift pump pressure. I am running a Holley Red so I can't change the pressure.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Now thats not exactly correct. Ken at DPS runs a higher lift pump pressure and that coupled with his trick injection pump puts out more horsepower that the stock 5 to 7 lb lift pump setting. I really never got how much higher the pressure was but I sure would like to know. Our systems run just fine with 5 to 7 lbs of lift pump pressure. I am running a Holley Red so I can't change the pressure.

Well, I guess I spoke out of turn then.cookoo I didn't mean to try to mislead any one. But wasn't his motor modified? Would it make that much difference on a stock engine with a stock ip? I'm not trying to argue with you icfa, just being curious now. If it does make a significant difference then it would be worth going to a higher pressure lift pump. It would be worth experimenting with.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Would putting more fuel preasure into the IP change the advancement of the pump? When the cold advance is on, I thought it restricted the fuel flow out of the IP in turn that advances it a bit. So putting in higher preasure fuel would advance it would it not? So if you do that, you might need to re-time and check the advance curve.
Or I could be totaly out to lunch on to much turkey.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No, you didn't speak out of turn. On this board we bounce ideas off enach other. Yes, Ken did have a modified motor running the higher pressure lift pump but as I posted I don't recall him telling us how much higher the pressure was. As for the timing and advance curve changing I don'y have infoemation on that. Experimenting would be neat but I'm not up for it myself. I'm just getting back running after 2 years of the most awful problems anybody has ever come accross. I think some were getting scared to associate with me. Maybe it would rub off on them...:dunno :D

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
No, you didn't speak out of turn. On this board we bounce ideas off enach other. Yes, Ken did have a modified motor running the higher pressure lift pump but as I posted I don't recall him telling us how much higher the pressure was. As for the timing and advance curve changing I don'y have infoemation on that. Experimenting would be neat but I'm not up for it myself. I'm just getting back running after 2 years of the most awful problems anybody has ever come accross. I think some were getting scared to associate with me. Maybe it would rub off on them...:dunno :D

Yeah, murphy does make make people nervous! There are lots of members on here with sooo much more knowledge than me when it come to these motors. It's easy for me to get an idea on how something works-and have it all wrong:eek: I've learned a lot from this site though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online