Fuel pressure pulsating

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the fuel pressure and it was pulsating between 50-60psi. I did the fpr shim mod and adjusted it to 60-70psi.

Does this indicate a bad fuel pump?

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this how you did it.
3/16 BB in the regulator (low fuel pressure) Should be 60lbs to 85lbs
Regulator is the 19 mm brass bolt, on the right side of your fuel filter housing. Unscrew the bolt, pull out the spring, pull out the housing with a magnet, put the bb inside the housing were the spring goes, put the housing back, put the spring back in and put the bolt back in, just make sure the little nipple on the bolt goes in the center of the spring and tighten it up.

Explaination of how to put the BB in the fuel regulator little better and clean the regulater screen
Get a regular BB, wait till your engine cools some and take the black cover off the top of your motor. This requires a 1/2 in deep socket and ratchet. There are 3 nuts on the cover. Next look at your fuel filter bowl and just to the right at the front will be a brass 19 mm plug on the fuel regulator. You will want to place a rag below this plug in case you drop anything. Next, remove the plug and place it on the top of your fuel filter housing using a 19 mm socket or wrench. You will now see a little spring that is exposed. Take a pair of small needle nose pliers and grasp the spring and pull it out of the regulator. Place it by your plug noting the way it came out. You will want to go back in with the same end that came out of the regulator side. Next, take a pencil tip magnet and be sure everything is clean on the magnet (we don't want metal shavings in there)....place the tip of the magnet in the hole and it will pull out the little tri-angular plunger that regulates the fuel pressure. Take the plunger off your magnet and look at the end of it. The end that has the hole is where you want to place the ball bearing. Take your ball bearing and drop it in the hole. When I did it the ball just fell in the hole. Take a little punch and make sure that it seats in the counter bore of the plunger. Not with a hammer, just pushing on it by hand will suffice. Next, make sure everything is clean and place the spring back in the plunger the way it came out. Place the plunger back into the regulator. The tri-angular shape will "FIT" into it's respected groove. DO NOT FORCE IT. Turn the plunger until it slides right in. Next, take the 19 mm plug and coat the o-ring with some oil or light grease so you will not damage the o-ring. Next, note the nipple on the end of the plug where the spring is centered. Be sure to get that nipple into the hole on the end of the spring or you will bend the spring and you have trouble. Push the plug toward the threads in the housing as it will be harder to push now, and screw your plug back into the regulator. DO NOT CROSS THREAD THE PLUG. Next tighten the plug back down snug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
Fuel Regulator Screen Cleaning
The fix is simple. Take off the cover over the fuel filter, 1/2 socket does the job. Place a towel or shop rag under the fuel regulator!!!! There are two 10 mm bolts just to the right of the fuel filter, take both out making sure you put them back the way they came out. Gently pry the fuel regulator away from the fuel filter housing, making sure you don't drop the o-ring. You will see a small screen about 1/4 inch. Using a small screwdriver or q-tip w.out the cotton ball on the end, wipe the screen and then put everything back together. The material you get off the screen I have been told is from o-rings. The fix will only take 15 to 20 minutes. If you find the regulator is blocked, clean it, install new fuel filter, and it shouldn't need to be done again for 12 months.
Replace your black cover and you are ready for a test drive to see if you made any difference. You should definitely feel a difference in throttle response. You will actually have more boost pressure.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulsating pressure on the first gen PSD's is normal, mechanical fuel pump. You need a liquid filled gauge to get a good reading but if you are in the 60-70 psi range you are probably good to go.

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mike I thought I was gonna have to change the fuel pump.

I used the 4-40 socket head bolt method to adjust the fpr. I put it in with no nut and the pressure went up to 70-80psi. I took the bolt out and ground the head down about half, put it back in and it was 60-70psi.

Ollbull8 sorry I wasn't worried about the psi level I was worried about pulsating.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to home depot and get an allen head 4-40 screw with short threads.pull the regulator spring out and put the screw with the threads in the spring and put it back together

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
thanks and I just ask cause i put the bb in and i have a solid 60 psi we also did a buddy's 97 at the same time he now has a solid 70 psi. my truck has 120k on it and his i think 190k but I also noticed his sticker on the engine says 225 hp where my 95 only says 215 hp, did know if it was the fuel or tune. I was thinking another 10 psi might help get the turbo spool time up a little.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year is yours?his could also be a cali emissions truck since its a 97.if youre lookin for more pressure you can try stretching the spring a little.

with the 4-40 screw you can add washers till you get the psi youre aiming for

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
what year is yours?his could also be a cali emissions truck since its a 97.if youre lookin for more pressure you can try stretching the spring a little.

mine is an '95 and i was trying to get 70 psi at idle. I wonder if a new spring may be in order. the truck has 120k miles on it now.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score

how long of a 4-40 screw? they have 1/4" - 1" or is that a metric 4mm x 40mm ?

dukenukem

Reaction score
Hi, Just read your post about fuel pressure regulators dated about a year ago, and the picture of your Essex just blew me away. Would it be possible for me to get a 8x10 print of this car from you? I would like to frame it and hang it up in my library. My first car was a 1929 Essex that I bought in 1948 or 49 when I was 14 years old. I paid $20 dollars for it, a fortune at the time as I had to earn all my own money in those days. It was a coupe with a rumble seat just like yours. The car would run, but the flexible coupling to the generator was gone. I patched it up and coasted down the hill to start it and charge the battery, and I had a lot of fun on the country dirt roads around my home. It was a great summer until the County Sheriff stopped me one day while I was walking and asked me if I knew the kid running around in the Essex. Of course, I didn't admit that it was me, although since then I have realized he knew exactly who he was talking to. He then advised me to tell the kid to sell the car when I saw him and left me to think it over. A month later I had a chance to make a profit on the car so I sold it for the princely sum of $25! Well, enough of the rambling story. I would really enjoy talking with you further about the Essex and would enjoy a casual friendship with you as well if you have the time. I am ok with giving you my email address as this is a quick and easy means of communication. Please reply when you can. With my kindest regards, Phil Strahin

[email protected]