Fuel pressure problem

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, just for clarity - was it stalling before you started measuring fuel pressure with the liquid-filled gauge? This:
liquid filled gauges can cause low fuel pressure when they get hot.
...is a bit ambiguous. Does this mean the gauge is causing the pressure in the system to drop? Or just the READING is low? If the gauge is literally "causing low fuel pressure", then decommission it and see what happens.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. For clarity I meant the heat can make it read wrong. I proved that with the ice pack.

So I'll hold you in suspense a moment.

I stopped and got a cheap standard gauge. Of course it bounces like hell but at operating temp, the pressure is constant. No loss of pressure. Mystery one solved. The gauge was lying to me.

Now on to the situation at hand. So I was on the front tank. When I got it started again in the driveway I purged the air out of the filter head and it fired right up.

So tonight I flipped it to the rear tank. It had about half a tank according to the gauge. Ran all over the neighborhood and no problem. Brought it in and put the new wheels on and decided I'd go try to put fuel in it. About a mile away.

Got to fuel station. Front gauge says 1/4 tank. Rear rear almost half.

13.5 rear.
14.5 front.

That says to me my fuel senders are off a bit. Where it died I had been going up hill for a while. The pickup is in the middle of the tank. I think it just sucked air in the tank. Probably what happened to me the last time this happened too. I just happened to have come up the hill and was rolling down the driveway when it died.

Ran all the way home no sweat. I think I have her sorted now.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front sender sounds about right. Rear, that's unusual. Usually the sending units read pessimistically low. At those levels in either tank, you're at the point where a broken/detached pickup strainer (showerhead) could cause it to run dry.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pickups are brand new. I don't think they are an issue but I guess I'll soon find out.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing to mention is that my gauges are reading way past full. These are aftermarket senders so they may be off a bit.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Okay. For clarity I meant the heat can make it read wrong. I proved that with the ice pack.

So I'll hold you in suspense a moment.

I stopped and got a cheap standard gauge. Of course it bounces like hell but at operating temp, the pressure is constant. No loss of pressure. Mystery one solved. The gauge was lying to me.

Now on to the situation at hand. So I was on the front tank. When I got it started again in the driveway I purged the air out of the filter head and it fired right up.

So tonight I flipped it to the rear tank. It had about half a tank according to the gauge. Ran all over the neighborhood and no problem. Brought it in and put the new wheels on and decided I'd go try to put fuel in it. About a mile away.

Got to fuel station. Front gauge says 1/4 tank. Rear rear almost half.

13.5 rear.
14.5 front.

That says to me my fuel senders are off a bit. Where it died I had been going up hill for a while. The pickup is in the middle of the tank. I think it just sucked air in the tank. Probably what happened to me the last time this happened too. I just happened to have come up the hill and was rolling down the driveway when it died.

Ran all the way home no sweat. I think I have her sorted now.
I would hang my hat on that! Closure is great. Good deal.

I need a front sender... lol