Fuel Plate Adjustment

dalton505per

Reaction score
Hello everybody I have a few quick questions to ask this has probably been asked a million times but I can not find the article on it. How do you adjust the fuel plate on the truck (I do understand how to grind it). is there anymore cheap mods that you can do to the injection pump of the truck.

Thanks.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Insure you have the tools/items listed below before disabling vehicle

Fender covers to protect paint

7/16 inch deep barrel socket 3/8’s drive with ratchet

10 mm six point socket, 3/8’s drive with 3” extension

Tape or clean towels to cover openings

7 mm and ¼ inch six point sockets, ¼ drive with 3” extension

19mm socket, 3/8’s or ½ drive

Center punch 8-10 inches long

Hammer to strike punch and hand impact tool

Hand impact tool, 3/8’s or ½ drive

T15 & T20 TORX bits ¼” drive with ¼” extension 6” long

¼ to 3/8’s and or ½ adapter to hand impact tool

8mm 6point ¼”drive socket

Large standard screw driver bit with 6” adapter for impact tool

Large screwdriver or small pry bar

Pliers

7/16 inch open end wrench

5/8 inch open end wrench

Torque wrench capable of at least 30 pound-feet

RTV silicon sealant

8 mm allen wrench

1. Park vehicle in a suitable work location, set parking brake, place automatic transmissions in park,
manual transmissions in neutral, and open hood.
2. Disconnect both battery negative battery cables.
3. Clean engine if necessary to keep debris and foreign objects from entering engine
4. Place fender cover or protective covering to protect paint and batteries.
5. Using a 7/16 inch deep barrel socket, loosen lower clamp on upper intake connection hose and slide
lower clamp off of hose and down the steel tube out of the way.
6. Remove the six bolts holding the air intake connection and dipstick tube in place using a 10 mm 6
point socket. NOTE: Observe that these bolts are of different lengths so they can be installed in
correct location during assembly.
7. Remove intake manifold connection and hose as a unit, taking care not to damage gasket. This
gasket can normally be reused however if it is torn, replace with a new gasket, Cummins part number
3913352. NOTE: Hold electrical grid heater in place while lifting the air connection so that the
gasket joint under the grid heater is not disturbed.
8. Cover the air tube and manifold openings with tape or towels to keep foreign objects out.
9. Bend the fuel supply line slightly so as to make access to the break off screw. This option saves some time, eliminates breaking into the fuel line, and make engine restart more quickly.
10. Next remove front passenger side AFC housing break off screw. NOTE: This screw is a factory
break off screw with rounded head and no screw driver, allen head or TORX slot. Use a hand
impact tool with a 6 inch long ¼” extension and a T15 TORX bit to remove this screw. A center
punch may be required to start a hole in the center of this screw. Set the hand impact tool in the
removal position (counter clockwise) and use light hammer taps on the impact tool to loosen this
screw. Tap progressively harder on the impact tool until the screw loosens. This method of removal
forms a TORX shape into the screw allowing it to be reinstalled later with the T15 TORX bit. In
some cases the hole in the top of this screw is too large for the T15 bit thus use the T20 TORX bit.
There is usually a lock washer and flat washer under each of these screws. OPTIONAL: A sharp
chisel can be used to remove the break off screw by making a notch in the outside diameter of the
head, then applying a tangential force with light blows to the chisel counterclockwise to remove the
screw.
11. Use hand impact tool and a 8mm socket to remove the two driver side AFC screws.
12. Use the hand impact tool with large standard screw driver bit to remove the rear passenger side AFC
screw.
13. Pry the fuel shutdown solenoid bracket away from the AFC housing using a larger screwdriver. This bracket only needs to move about 3/8” for clearance.
14. Lift AFC housing, moving it out of the way toward the rear of the engine. The boost pressure line
need not be disconnected. NOTE: Some engines have a metal rather than a plastic boost line
between the engine intake to the AFC housing, in this case the boost line should be disconnected.
15. Loosen the 2 screws on the fuel plate, sliding the torque curve(fuel) plate as far forward as possible. Some people say it makes more hp when it's .030 or .060" from full forward.
16. Tighten the two torque plate screws and hand tighten as tight as possible with a normal
large screw driver.
17. Be sure that the AFC housing seal is in its groove (it may require a dab of grease or silicon sealant
to hold it in place) then carefully reinstall the AFC housing. Do NOT force the housing into
place, rather insure that the tang on the bottom of the housing fits in the slot in the torque curve
plate. Wiring harnesses, hoses, and the solenoid bracket may need to be moved to get the housing
to drop into its proper location.
18. Move the shutoff solenoid bracket back to its original position so that the AFC housing mounting
screws will pass through the proper holes in the bracket and housing.
19. Install the AFC housing hold down screws loosely in their original locations. NOTE that the AFC housing mounting holes are slotted, slide the housing as far toward
the front of the engine as the slots allow.
20. Tighten the AFC mounting screws as tight as possible with a
normal screw driver, then use the hand impact tool to turn each screw and additional 1/8 to ¼
turn.
21. The AFC housing to boost pressure line fitting may need to be loosened slightly using a 5/8 inch open end wrench for good alignment of the hose. Tighten the two hose clamps loosened in step 8 using a 7
mm socket. NOTE: Reinstall the boost pressure line if it was removed in step 14.
22. Remove the duct tape or towels from the previously covered openings, reinstall the air connection
gasket and the air intake connection, starting the rubber hose on the air intake tube first, then
rotating the connection into position.
23. Clean debris from threads of air connection bolts, then place a small amount of RTV sealer
sparsely on the first ¾ inch of threads, reinstall bolts to their original position and tighten to 18 lb-
ft using a 10mm six point socket and suitable torque wrench.
24. Reinstall lower air connection hose clamp and tighten hand tight, do NOT strip threads on clamp
bolt. Check the other seven air circuit clamps at this time to insure the four hoses and eight
clamps are not leaking air
25. Remove fender and battery cover, lights, tools etc. , and reconnect battery cables.
26. Start Engine and check for leaks.
27. Test drive the vehicle. It should now have much more power
and quicker acceleration. Observe acceleration rate and smoke.
If vehicle is still slow to accelerate or has too much smoke,
adjust the AFC setting as required. To adjust, remove the large
plug on top of the AFC housing using an 8 mm
allen wrench. Take care not to loose the sealing washer under
the plug. Removing the plug exposes a star wheel which
changes the quickness of fueling response to boost. If
acceleration is weak with minimal smoke, rotate top of the star
wheel toward the engine a few revolutions. If vehicle has heavy
black smoke on initial acceleration, rotate top of star wheel away
from engine a few revolutions. Reinstall large plug with sealing
washer and test drive vehicle again. It may take repeated
attempts to get this adjustment set. If heavy smoke is still
encountered with star wheel moved completely to rear position,
go back to step 19, loosen AFC housing and slide it rearward a
1/16 inch, retighten and test again. Repeat unit desired results
occur.

Attachments

• Fuel Plate 1.jpg
    Fuel Plate 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 52
  • Fuel Plate 2.jpg
    Fuel Plate 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 59

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is adjust the AFC star wheel. Now this doesn't add power per say but will allow the fuel to come on a little sooner giving you the feel of more power because what it does is allow the truck to actually hit the fuel plate (which determines how much fuel is allowed vs RPM).

The thing to understand is the AFC (Automatic Fuel Control) holds back the fuel until the boost comes on. Which makes sense because if you don't have the air to burn the fuel then you will end up with more smoke - helps the engine run cleaner out the exhaust pipe - visual effect if you will. Now the smoke is wasted fuel and energy but there is power to be had when she's blowing smoke, but there is a fine line to dance because when she's blowing black smoke you are increasing your EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temps) and if they build to quickly then you have a hard time chasing them back down to get them under control. I would spin the star wheel forward some and then test it then adjust more if you want. You have to spin the star wheel with a screw driver sort of like you do with a drum brake set - they don't move easy... You ain't gonna do it with your fingers. But like I said it's a fine line that you will dancing because it allows more fuel to be delivered before the boost comes up. You can play with it and dial it in so that she won't fuel too much below 1500 rpms then it allows the fuel plate to determine the max fuel setting. I found that combo to work best for me - yes I had smoke and a pretty fair amount of it but no so much that I couldn't get the EGT's back under control once the turbo lit up.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oh I can't take credit for it - it was from my learning stages when I first got mine and I downloaded it from somewhere on the net when I was tweaking mine.... I had a three ring binder that I set up with tips, tricks, TSB's and such printed off in it that I kept with the truck for my reference. I did also have all the stuff here on the computer... the kid that bought the truck got the binder and also the downloaded service manuals that I had... me not that smart me just smart enough to know where to get the information and smart enough to save it for future reference... I did follow the instructions and they worked to a tee and made me look like I knew what I was doing....

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that you either scribe the AFC housing and pump, or have a template for where AFC housing was at, and DO NOT install it towards the rear of the motor in comparison to where it was originally. This will result in hard or no starts, very sluggish bottom end performance, and all around poor driveability. This is from past experience, a mistake I only made once.

Another common thing to do is to grind the AFC arm slightly, flip the washers on the diaphragm, and playing with the pre-boost adjustment(smoke screw).

AFC is Air-Fuel control.

BTW Trav, nice pic of a DT466. Same principles tho.

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let the flaming begin. i took my #5 plate out of my ip and run plate less on my 97 ram 3500 4x4.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
you won't get flamed from me... I know a few guys that run without it with no problems - I have seen it mentioned on a lot of forums that they can go into run-away mode but I have never seen it nor heard first hand accounts of it.

qdw2008

Reaction score
i havea buddy that runs plateless and he slips his clutch in the last three gears..... only reason it dont slip in the first two is cause the tires are spinnin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7