Fuel leak and rough idle and running

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I've been having trouble for the last few days, with my 87/6.9 starting hard and idling/running rough. At first, I thought it was another bad batch of fuel. Today, I went to NAPA for some threadlock and sat outside in the truck for about 5 minutes, before going in. The truck was running while I sat there and when I got out, there was a pretty rainbow(Ie:eek:il slick) in the wet parking lot.

I looked under the truck and saw a lot of fuel dripping, from the area of the starter. I popped the hood and could see that the right-rear of the engine (Around the #7 injector) was soaked in fuel.

I haven't had the chance to even remove the air cleaner yet, so I'm not yet sure exactly how bad the problem is. I do know that I went through 1/4 tank of fuel, during an eight-mile drive!

While I was at NAPA, I asked about a return line kit. All they had, were injector installation kits and they were $95!! :mad: adiesel.com has the SAME kit for $24.75!! Needless to say, I didn't buy the NAPA kit!

My question is, besides the return line kit, what other hoses are there to change and what should I buy?

Gary

djviscom

Reaction score
hi Gary. You might have this problem. All your injectors are connected with rubber hoses. These hoses are rubber and dry out / crack and begin dripping fuel. This lets air into the system when turned off which makes for hard starting and they will leak and create puddles of diesel when running. I had this problem awhile ago. Its pretty obvious. Just look at the hoses between your injectors and its pretty obvious when they are cracked and falling apart. Call your local ford dealership because there was some sort of recall or notification about this problem Ford sent me hose and new clamps for not alot of money (i dont remember exactly how much).

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that much fuel it might be that big return line that crosses between the two banks of cylinders and valley pan. I've had a substantial leak from there at least 2 or 3 times since I've had my truck (2003)

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I finally got the chance to check the situation out... I found fuel seeping from the bottom of the return line cap on the #7 cylinder. Sounds like it's time for a return line kit!

What size are the lines? adiesel.com says 3/16" Guess I should do the 7.3 while I'm at it...

Gary