Fuel Issue

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Just got a new to me 85 crew cab. Im having a fuel issue with it. When it sits for longer than a few hours it acts like it looses it prime or something. It will fire up and run for about 30 seconds and then stall. It will then crank for a little while and then re fire. I know it needs glow plugs and those will be done this weekend. Just wondering if there is any thing to look for while im doing it. If it matters, the motor is a 6.9 with banks sidewinder kit and new injectors and new injection pump. Thanks for any info.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have either some bad fuel or some air/fuel leaks somewhere. favorite spots are the return lines/caps/orings and the hard fitting on the injection pump or a loose or leaking fuel filter or fitting on the filter. Next time you have to cold start it take the fuel filter off and see if its full, it should be just about brimming over with fuel.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel/air leak to me as well. Again, look for a "wet" injector. Those return lines/caps are notorious for air/fuel leaks.

If those look great.......try and find another area where you are leaking fuel out and air in.

Heath

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Bret at Advance Diesel Service in montague has the cap/line kit in stock,

Time to start spending:D

Last edited:

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Well, I also just found out that it has autolite glow plugs in it so............IDIeselman and myself will have quite a fun saturday replaceing them with motocrafts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online