fuel filter base leaking, warped/cracked?

otisd85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a 1990 6.2 that after sitting over night or all day at work when i start it it will start fine and run about 6-8 seconds then die. then after cranking for a while it will fire back up and run fine. so im thinking there is a leak in my filter base thats letting air in my fuel system after sitting awhile(around the base on the firewall is the only place thats wet)? i replaced the filter and same problem so that leads me to the base. i am considering converting to the base that accepts screw on filters or maby even 2 of them like a 10 micron fuel filter/water seperator and a 2 micron filter after that. does any one have or seen a setup similar to this and maby have a few part numbers for me? or if you think i have a different problem and i am going in the wrong direction any other ideas would be great.

thanks otis

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wix filters have a universal base that will accept whatever filtration level you want. I'm running a 10 micron water separator/fuel filter and a 2 micron fuel filter. I don't have the part number for the base tonite but I can get it on Monday.

Attachments

• 05-15-08_1821.jpg
    05-15-08_1821.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 3
  • SL371599.JPG
    SL371599.JPG
    870.8 KB · Views: 4

otisd85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something like that setup looks to be exactly like what im looking for but im going to try and mount it on my firewall. if you could get some part numbers on monday that would be great thanks again

otisd85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so i think i found the remote filter base i want to use, its a wix 24770. the filters i have found so far are 33405(12 micron fuel filter/water seperator) and 33528(2 micron filter) they are about 7" tall and im looking for something around 5" if possible, just to give me a little more room and to be on the safe side. also i have another question with my original filter, there are 2 sets of 2 wires coming out of the base one of the sets of wires i would assume is for the water in fuel light but what is the other for? and the 2 fuel lines going to the filter, one is 3/8" the other is 5/16". would it be safe to say the 3/8 is coming from the lift pump and the 5/16 is going to the injection pump, just so i know what direction to run my plumbing and what order to install my filters

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need to re-route the fuel feed line to the front of the frame. 3/8 line to the mech pump and then 3/8 line to the filters. iirc the inlet line size of the 6.2 is 1/4". irregardless, the secondary filter to the injection is the only area where you want to neck down from 3/8"

otisd85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will need to re-route the fuel feed line to the front of the frame. 3/8 line to the mech pump and then 3/8 line to the filters. iirc the inlet line size of the 6.2 is 1/4". irregardless, the secondary filter to the injection is the only area where you want to neck down from 3/8"

just to make sure we are on the same page my fuel line runs from the frame to the lift pump mounted on the passenger side of the block then from that pump there is a line running up the front of the block, under the intake manifold, back to the rear of the block in the valley under the intake, then to the fuel filter, coming out of the filter it is 1/4" running back under the intake and to the ip.

can i just take the 3/8 line from under the manifold then run it to my first new filter into the second and put a 1/4" nipple on the outlet of the second filter and run that back under the intake and directly to the injection pump?

you said "iirc the inlet line size of the 6.2 is 1/4"." what is iirc?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just to make sure we are on the same page my fuel line runs from the frame to the lift pump mounted on the passenger side of the block then from that pump there is a line running up the front of the block, under the intake manifold, back to the rear of the block in the valley under the intake, then to the fuel filter, coming out of the filter it is 1/4" running back under the intake and to the ip.

can i just take the 3/8 line from under the manifold then run it to my first new filter into the second and put a 1/4" nipple on the outlet of the second filter and run that back under the intake and directly to the injection pump?

you said "iirc the inlet line size of the 6.2 is 1/4"." what is iirc?
you have the description correct in the first paragraph.
the problem with the stock GM routing is when you run out of fuel, you will airlock the system. It's nuts the way they have it routed. also, it's easier to push fuel through the filters rather than pull fuel through the filter.
bottom line your sequence needs to be as follows...
1)fuel feed from the frame.
2)fuel pump
3)fuel line to the primary filter
4)primary filter to secondary filter.
5)secondary filter to the injection pump.
this routing should run from the lowest point (frame) to the highest point(filters) to the injection pump. that's it. simple. no more airlocks.
iirc= if I remember correctly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online