Front Hub removal

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I have started on the Ball Joint replacement. First task is to remove the front hub. It is retained by a number of Torx T15 screws. I have broken 2 T15 tips so far.
Who makes a better quality Torx bit that won't break off?
Is Craftsman any good?

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I've never seen them torx, but if they are, put the socket on a extension and SMACK the crap out of it one good time and they should loosen right up. And get a blackhawk or a craftsman, so when u break it, you gets a new one. Note to self dont return a breaker bar 3 times in one week. Youll get dirty looks.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
there is nobody even snap-on who makes good torx bits all you can do is buy the one that are warrentable
and they are pretty much all the same expecially that small

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
And when you reassemble use dow corning 111 on the bolts in the hub it will make the next time easy.While your at it use 111 freely on any thing you expect to rust-don't forget to use it on the upper ball joint adjusters when you put that together.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
a small impact can really help here, other wise if you can get someone to hit the wrench with a hammer lightly while you hold pressure on it can help bust the crud loose.

anti-sieze is your friend afterwards

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
On the hubs especially never seize is no where near as good as Dow corning111.Never seize has the 3rd metal combination which invites corrosion in the allen bolts (I learned this in Massachusetts working on salt water boats).the 11 will keep moisture out of the threads and put a water proof film on the threads.I had 5 trucks out plowing snow for years,in the saltiest of conditions.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well one thing I have found to help a great deal...is to smack the torx bit while it's in the screw good n hard like driving a nail into wood. That usually breaks the screw loose from what I have found.

JM2CW

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
On the hubs especially never seize is no where near as good as Dow corning111.Never seize has the 3rd metal combination which invites corrosion in the allen bolts (I learned this in Massachusetts working on salt water boats).the 11 will keep moisture out of the threads and put a water proof film on the threads.I had 5 trucks out plowing snow for years,in the saltiest of conditions.

interesting, thanks for the info, i will have to see if i can pick some of that up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a torx? Really? Mine are all Allen. I've never noticed, but I could see them using torx on your later model year. Too bad they are on so tight. That hub isn't doing anything other than just holding in a little bit of spring pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726