Friend's '99 key-off current drain

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hey all,
Working on Rose's 99 cc dually again. Had charging problems, replaced the alternator today (man, all vehicles should be as easy as these ;Sweet). Decided to check her key off current flow to see if there was something else going on. I'm getting 360mA after the initial bump up to almost an amp. I went through and pulled every single visible fuse & relay in the engine compartment & under the dash. It never dropped below 250mA. I pulled several of the fuses that let it drop to 250mA at the same time and the current stayed the same.

Can somebody with a meter check their Powerstroke to see what kind of flow you're getting? In quick searching on the net it looks like we ought to be under 100mA, under 25 ideally, but I'd like some confirmation before tearing any further into this thing.

Has anybody seen anything like this if it's obscenely large on the current draw? Am I missing a fusebox somewhere :dunno cookoo

Thanks all,
Mike

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I had an alternator fail on my 02. When testing for draw I found an initial 1 amp draw that dropped to about what you have. After 20 minutes or so it settled down t abo 35mA.
Ken

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Thanks Ken. Leaving it hooked for a "while" was my next step. I found some info on the net that initial draw could take up to 4 hours to settle down. Haven't gotten to it yet, but will later this week.

Mike

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I think mine took about 20 minutes to settle. I'm not sure what component takes that long but something did. Let us know what you find out
Ken

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I think the keep alivememory is what the final 30mA draw is. There is a 250mA or more draw for about 20 minutes til it finally settles on the lower number.
Ken