Frantz Bypass Filters

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Anybody ever use one of these? seems to be the least expensive option for bypass filtration. The filter media is a roll of 2-ply, 500 sheet toilet paper...

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Shouldn't have too much trouble finding a filter. But as for the backside, I'll pay the extra for a few more layers...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
They've been around forever. They actually work rather well. way back when, racers used to stuff those things with kotex instead of TP to get better filtration to make their engines last longer. As most things automotive the race track finds it's way to mainstream and most of the bypass filters now are made with compressed cotton disks for filter media
All that said, there are a lot better choices available now with more modern filter media that are a whole lot easier and a lot less messy to change

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Now that's the kind of reply I was looking for... Good to know, since you have the Amsoil bypass system, what are the types of filters and such that it uses?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Now that's the kind of reply I was looking for... Good to know, since you have the Amsoil bypass system, what are the types of filters and such that it uses?

The Amsoil bypass uses a spin on filter similar to a regular oil filter. They come in three different lengths depending on how much room you have to mount the thing, it just give more capacity, so if you have room for the longer filter, it just means you can go a bit longer before youll have to change the thing and it adds a little more oil capacity to the system so , in theory some added cooling, but it flows so slowly through the bypass, I don't know in reality how much effect that really has. at 45 mph it takes roughly 5 minuits for all the oil of an average car to make it through the bypass system, so on one of these beasts, figure more like 10 minutes or so.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
The Amsoil bypass uses a spin on filter similar to a regular oil filter. They come in three different lengths depending on how much room you have to mount the thing, it just give more capacity, so if you have room for the longer filter, it just means you can go a bit longer before youll have to change the thing and it adds a little more oil capacity to the system so , in theory some added cooling, but it flows so slowly through the bypass, I don't know in reality how much effect that really has. at 45 mph it takes roughly 5 minuits for all the oil of an average car to make it through the bypass system, so on one of these beasts, figure more like 10 minutes or so.

It will actually be a little longer than that. In a Duramax for instance (10 qt system with an extra 1 1/2 qts for the dual bypass) it will take about 20-25 minutes at frwy speeds for all (100%) of the oil to touch the bypass filter. It all goes through the full flow on each pass.

NCheek if your wanting to buy the Amsoil brand bypass it will be at my cost for you.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember the toilet paper filters from when I was a kid. I saw them on quite a few trucks from the 40's and 50's that did service for bell telephone. Anyone remember seeing those funny looking utility beds from the telephone co. trucks?

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
a bypass filter is a very good thing you can do for your engine. I use a fram pb50 which is 10 micron, forgot where I got the filter head. Northern has some or just pick one up on ebay;Sweet

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score

All that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and I want to add that with the Amsoil bypass unit your filtration will be 98.7% efficient to 2 microns. Thats a very important statistic. If you have looked in on any of the oil sites the experst will tell you that you virtually eliminate wear if you can filter to blow 5 microns. Most damaging wear starts at 15 microns and goes up from there.

Dane

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Toilet paper does break down when its mixed with water but not so in oil. As I recall what you do is remove the cardboard roller in the center and install it. Cheap and much better filtration but remember... Nothing will remove the soot. Its just way too fine for most any filtration. When I change oil I wear the same old shirt that has the soot stains permantly in it.