FOUND a FACTORY-TURBOed 1993 IDI PU with GEAR VENDORS OD. = ADVICE PLEASE

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friends,

I found the F250 PU above in the Austin area (to possibly replace my stolen 1990 PU) & wonder what should I have checked on the GV OD, besides having an ordinary pre-purchase check on the PU.
(The 1993 LOOKS to be in good shape but I know little or nothing about the GV OD unit & doubt that the average Ford mechanic knows much either. - The PU is a 2WD, extended cab XLT with a E4OD auto transmission that was rebuilt about a year ago, with the receipts. The rear end is a 4.10)

It has 181,000 one-owner miles.

Your advice, PLEASE.

yours, satx

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please look at the name tag. If this is a J then its an early GV. The P is the later stronger units but either will last nearly forever. If the dash GV switch is bout 2 by 4 inch box it is the nicer one. One rocker switch is how you engage or lock out unit. Now these require hydraulic pressure to work. About 20 mph it builds enough pressure to shift the cone clutch. Below that it will not work. they never work in reverse. You can end up with double your forward gears. Start in first. then ingage the od. then shift out of od into second. then shift into od again and so on till you reach top gear. In an E4OD trans you get 8 forward gears. In a ZF 5 speed you get 10 forward gears. Keep the proper oil in it and it just keeps on ticking. Contact Gear Vendors in el Cahon Ca. They have a great help desk. Good luck too.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please look at the name tag. If this is a J then its an early GV. The P is the later stronger units but either will last nearly forever. If the dash GV switch is bout 2 by 4 inch box it is the nicer one. One rocker switch is how you engage or lock out unit. Now these require hydraulic pressure to work. About 20 mph it builds enough pressure to shift the cone clutch. Below that it will not work. they never work in reverse. You can end up with double your forward gears. Start in first. then ingage the od. then shift out of od into second. then shift into od again and so on till you reach top gear. In an E4OD trans you get 8 forward gears. In a ZF 5 speed you get 10 forward gears. Keep the proper oil in it and it just keeps on ticking. Contact Gear Vendors in el Cahon Ca. They have a great help desk. Good luck too.

With the E4OD are all the shifts fully automatic?

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings, towcat,

There you are. = Your advice on the PU & particularly on the GV unit (including periodic maintenance) with E4OD??

yours, satx

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not for the GV. you can let it shift itself or you can manually do it.
by hitting the GV dimmer switch.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure if I understand what you are telling me. If I put the E4OD in D and drive, does the GV have a mode that shift between the E4OD shifts automatically?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not for the GV. you can let it shift itself or you can manually do it.
by hitting the GV dimmer switch.
depending on the J or P model, you use certain types of ATF drain plug at the bottom of the sump, fill plug on the right rear case. fill 'till it runs out.
take it for a test drive, if it runs and shifts, buy it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure if I understand what you are telling me. If I put the E4OD in D and drive, does the GV have a mode that shift between the E4OD shifts automatically?
the GV can work with the E4DOA as a double OD or you can manually split betwwen gears. it sounds crazy but once you drive one for five minutes, it's self explaining.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the GV can work with the E4DOA as a double OD or you can manually split betwwen gears. it sounds crazy but once you drive one for five minutes, it's self explaining.
So now that I'm actually considering buying a truck with a gear vendors I'll bring this back to the top. I guess I'm dense, I don't understand, so do I manually shift the transmission on the column and use the floor mounted switch as well? Or do I just use the floor mounted switch to split the gears as it's shifting automatically?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You split the gears as in, in between auto upshifts.
dump it in drive, and split each Gear.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only need to do the split-shifting when towing a load. Otherwise, it doesn't matter - it's just good for a highway cruising gear (double OD).

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online