Ford V10 vs. Chevy 454 in a Motor Home?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I had a 93 winnebago adventurer 34ft with the 454 and 4L80E trans. I put 55K on it during the time that I owned in in california. It was a ***** going up the mountains out there (couldn't afford a diesel at the time) but it was a great engine. I frequently hauled a 16ft car hauler and my jeep and got about 6mpg with the AC. Not hauling I'd get 9mpg. At the time I didn't think that was too bad considering the previous version of the power package (pre-1990) was the 3 speed tranny and 5mpg. The only thing that had a problem was the headers. Winnebago didn't install an air dam on the left side of the engine during those years so the exhaust manifolds would leak at about 25K. HAd it fixed under warranty and kept on trucking, I mean RV'ing. The only reason I don't have it anymore is becuase it caught on fire two years ago. (fire was caused by the fridge. Check the recall on yours just to be on the safe side) I enjoy and appreciate many vehicles. Be your own judge. But I do wish I would have had an IDI in it.

I think it would be awesome to get a late 70's to early 90's class c (E350 chassis) motorhome and swap in an IDI. Lots of Ford Class C's out there that are still in good shape.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would be awesome to get a late 70's to early 90's class c (E350 chassis) motorhome and swap in an IDI. Lots of Ford Class C's out there that are still in good shape.

I've got an 84 Coachmen Class C with a 460 in it, 96K miles. After setting 4-5 yrs. started right up, after a little cranking to get the gas up to the carb. One hell of an engine, kind of partial to it tho, built a million of them at Ford LEP. A gas hog, yeah, pull anything behind and not know it's even there. C6 tranny back then in 84 but with the E4OD and fuel injection gets better gas milage now. Oh by the way, the Azone battery is 6 yrs. old, never charged it before starting. Awsome.

Titojeep:

The only reason I don't have it anymore is becuase it caught on fire two years ago. (fire was caused by the fridge.

I had an the RV service business for 15 yrs. after I retired from Ford. Seen lots of burn't up Rv's for that reason, the fridge. NEVER NEVER run down the road with the fridge on propane, wind blows the flame out, propane does not shut off quickly, tries to relight constantly, then all of a sudden an explosion and fire. :puke: :eek:

Attachments

• DVC01233.JPG
    DVC01233.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 11

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an 84 Coachmen Class C with a 460 in it, 96K miles. After setting 4-5 yrs. started right up, after a little cranking to get the gas up to the carb. One hell of an engine, kind of partial to it tho, built a million of them at Ford LEP. A gas hog, yeah, pull anything behind and not know it's even there. C6 tranny back then in 84 but with the E4OD and fuel injection gets better gas milage now. Oh by the way, the Azone battery is 6 yrs. old, never charged it before starting. Awsome.

Titojeep:

I had an the RV service business for 15 yrs. after I retired from Ford. Seen lots of burn't up Rv's for that reason, the fridge. NEVER NEVER run down the road with the fridge on propane, wind blows the flame out, propane does not shut off quickly, tries to relight constantly, then all of a sudden an explosion and fire. :puke: :eek:

Old Bull...you taught this old dog a new trick. I didn't know that about motorhome refrigerators. I ran down the road on propane for years. My Norcold would go through three cycles of trying to start and then give me an error code it it wouldn't light. It always ran OK on the road. I just bought a MH with a Dometic. Do you have an opinion about Norcold vs. Dometic? I'm kinda scared by what you said. Never heard that before.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score

Titojeep:

Cant beat the 460's. Fuel injected is the way to go on a 460. Def helps on the mpg. Thanks for the info on the fridges. I didnt know that! Thats really scary. Of course I've never ran a fridge while I was drivin but I def wont now.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Norcold for me, parts are cheap, Dometic parts are expensive.

When the fridge is on auto, then unplug the shore power it shifts to the propane cycle. People forget or just don't know it does that, take off down the road and under the right conditions you have an explosion/fire. The exhaust from the burner doesn't go all the way up, any flammable dust or debris can catch fire, if enough of it and there you go. Always check the screen topside, I've seen bird nest's up there. Just open the door to the back of the fridge and look up, see if it's clear, in the spring on first start up.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I'll have to remember that. Our current motorhome's fridge doesn't have a 12v mode. Only LPG or 110v. Our previous motorhome had a 12v mode.

We have a 95 Georgie Boy *******. It's 34 ft with a fuel-injected 454 and a 4L80. It has more power and gets better fuel mileage than our 88 National RV Dolphin with a carbed 454 and TH400.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about motorhomes catching fire, here's a good one.
Fellow came in for repairs on something, can't remember what now. But he had his genset running for about 45 minutes while he was there. Pulling out of the driveway it vertually exploded. He had another RV service install the genset, it was a commercial set with the gas tank mounted over the generator. It was hot and no breeze that day and being enclosed the tank got so hot it exploded. If it hadn't been for the MH having a drivers side door, he would never had got out. One hell of a fire in seconds. My shop was 2 miles outside of town, by the time the voluntary fire department got there, nothing was left except the frame and engine.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Damn that sucks. Check out copart.com. There are some burned up campers on there that I have no idea why someone would think they are worth selling except for scrap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online