flywheel attachment bolt sealant?

oldoiler

Reaction score
I am ready to swap a flexplate for a flywheel. The service manual says to coat the flywheel attachment bolts threads portion with sealant BSA-19-554a. Anyone know what this stuff is? Do I have to go to ford or navistar to get it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think this stuff should be anything real special. Probably the red type of RTV would be the recommended stuff, but I'd wait and see what others say.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Sorry

I used blue Loctite (because that's what I had) on the F150 150K miles ago and all is fine. I used red Loctite on the IDI (because that's what I had) 20K miles ago and all is fine. I'd think any RTV would do the job for a water pump.

Woops, thought we we typin about a water pump.

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I wouldn't think this stuff should be anything real special. Probably the red type of RTV would be the recommended stuff, but I'd wait and see what others say.

That's what I used...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, you're not supposed to reuse old flywheel bolts. I bought my replacement flywheel from LuK when I did my trans swap, and it came with bolts that already had sealant on them. I don't know if other flywheel bolts will already have the sealant or not, but just FYI...

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Warden is right don't reuse flyhwheel bolts especially if you are using a dual mass. The luk kit I got the bolts had some kind of sealant on them but any kind of liquid teflon would work or aviation gasket maker that liquid brown in color stuff.

oldoiler

Reaction score
I called my local ford truck dealer(25 miles away) and the service guy said it was okay to reuse the flywheel bolts on a non dual mass fw. He looked up the number of the sealant speced in the service manual and said that the high temp RTV silicon would be fine to use. The bolts list for $17.58 each and were not in stock

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online