Fixing a core support

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
So I thought I was good to go on replacing my core support with a 97% rust free one I'd found that needed about 1hr of metal love.

Looked at it again tonight after about a month. It's bent!cookoo:mad::mad::mad:

The top rail/part of it is bent so I don't think I'd ever get it all square again...

My current pipe dream is to cut both lower corners out of this white (bent) core support and weld them into my old red (straight) support, which is 100% rusted out.

How would you go about doing this? Am I asking for major alignment/squareness issues by cutting/rewelding in both mounting points?

My red support is in good shape other than the mounts being gone...:puke:

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of room to adjust those around on the frame mounts etc. I wouldn't be too worried. I ran into the same thing. If you look early in my build thread, I took a clean one apart and straightened it. It was bent but really just at the bottom. Truck had hit something on the lower pass corner and shoved the door back. I guess they changed some front sheet metal because only the fender and door was messed up so I didn't think much about it when I bought it. I said all of that to say I'm hoping its not too critical because I know mine is still a little warped. If you start assembly from the cab forward, I think you will be fine.