fixin to swap my IP - couple of questions

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to install my "new" IP - I've been through Mel's article a hundred times ... I believe I'm ready to roll.
I am having a hard time finding a 16 point socket ... is an open end wrench going to be a whippin' ?
Any one have any words of advise before I begin?
Thanks in advance.
Kizer

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The box end wrench is the only tool I use to remove those little bolts. ;)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I believe that's a typo. Should read 12 point socket ;Sweet
I found a 12 pt, 8mm fits a bit tighter. wouldn't want to strip the head off one of those critters. you're going to need a socket to be able to torque the bolts back on properly. Medium strength locktite is your friend here.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
By the way, I had to get a socket from the snap on truck, very few places are carrying 12 pt sockets anymore ( which is a good thing for most applications, it just sucks when you have a 12 pt head to remove )

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most everyday type autoparts stores will carry the single 12 point sockets. Mine is a 3/8th drive and I use a 3/8x1/2 adapter so I can use my 1/2 inch drive torque wrench. The torque you need is 25 lbs. as per Mel. Its sounds really high for such a small bolt but remember. These bolts are the same as the rear u-joint bolts. Very hard material, probably grade 8.....

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Gary who said you could tell every one how far I went in school? cookoo also who told you the material in my head is very hard ? :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726