Fitment Question: Hypermax Turbo and factory airbox/filter

tnthielen

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Quick question for you all who have more expertise than I:

Mel from Conestoga Diesel is currently building a Moose Engine for me and I will be going with a Hypermax turbo and the Hypermax Intercooler setup. Will my existing factory airbox/filter still work or will I need to fabricate a new one? I have the existing round intake with the "cool-air" intake coming across from near the top side of the driver's side headlight. I don't have a pic, but you know what I'm talking about, its the contoured plastic piece that snakes over the AC lines, etc...

I honestly can't tell from the photos on Hypermax's website, so I'm curious what those of you have done...

It's in my sig, but for those who are reading on a mobile device, I have an '89 F250 XLT Lariat, SuperCab Longbed...

Thanks everyone!

-Todd

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Hypermax kit and I am using the factory air filter housing. I had to shim the intake casting up to clear the injector lines. There isn't much extra space. I still have the underhood pad and it is against the top of the air filter housing. I am running a cowl intake but don't see why the factory air tube wouldn't work. You will probably have to shorten it as the filter sits more forward.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well I've got a hypermax kit which I haven't installed I have to me up pipes from Mel then I can install it but I was looking at the airfilter tubing and I was thinking of running pvc pipe from the turbo to a afe big boost filter from riff raff and mount the stuff that's on the hypermax airfilter tubing to it if that makes since

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hypermax setup is designed to make use of the round factory NA air cleaner. There is no issue with using it, other than the fact that it really makes the engine look crowded. I off-boarded my air filter on the Moose truck, and fabbed up my own intake to put the air filter on the drivers side fender. But I did stick with the factory air cleaner setup on the Lady Moose. Performance is unaffected whichever way you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online