First truck, engine/trans swap, help!!

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Hey guys, picked up a 1987 F250 for $700, and drove her home. After filling up, and then filling up again. Soon realizing there was no way I was going to afford 8 miles to the gallon, I was offered a 7.3 IDI and a ZF5 behind it. It has a cut fuel plate and an aftermarket racing clutch. It came out of a 1991 F250 that had gotten wrecked. The truck had 102,000 miles. Now, my question is, what all do I need for the swap? I've already got the front clip off, and i'm pulling the 460 tomorrow. I've heard other than a clutch slave cylinder, slave cylinder, pedals, and wiring, that everything else bolts up? Other than having to move the cross member back 1". Is there anything else that needs to be done? Truck is again, a 1987 F250 single cab longbed, 4WD, 460 auto. Thanks!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First welcome to OB, you'll find it laid back here and easy going.

Second SEARCH is your friend, swaps like this happen all the time and are relatively simple.

Youll need rad support and a few other diesel specific items to make it cleanly.

We have NO FUEL PLATE in the IP if that's what you are referring to? We do have a mechanical lift pump that uses a BBC pattern for a block off plate, could that be what they are meaning??

LOOK through the FAQ and start here Tech section and HALL OF SHAME, we have all kinds of help here.

Fill in your signature and kick back.

Again welcome to OB

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Okay, awesome! Thankyou! Yeah, i'm not super up to par on the diesel engines, i've got gassers down pretty well though. I'll just make the search bar my best friend. Thanks again!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, awesome! Thankyou! Yeah, i'm not super up to par on the diesel engines, i've got gassers down pretty well though. I'll just make the search bar my best friend. Thanks again!
NO I'm saying the SEARCH function within the OB site here LOL plenty of coverage of this topic on this site!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. What you plan doing has been done many times here. so there is plenty of members ready to answer any questions that come up. About all I can think of is the radiator and the radiator support. What you might do is buy the Champion aluminum radiator that many here have bought. they are much cheaper than any new brass oem radiator too. Generall they run about $200.0 shipped from Cali.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online