First time pulling a trailer

70Post455

Reaction score
I Pulled my car trailer with a 1995 Buick 4 door Lesabre loaded up on it for the first time today with my new to me 1987 F250 6.9 automatic with a banks sidewinder setup.
I have pulled this trailer many times with my 1998 F150 with a 5.4, but I must say the 1987 pulled it just fine and I did not have any issues with holding the speed at 67mph as long at it was flat land.
The rpm’s were running in the 2600 range with my 3:55 rear gear setup at 66-67mph, and the EGT’s were holding around 600 going up hill or 450 on the flat’s. The truck would slow down to about 61mph going up some hills and did not kick down on the tranny since I was probably not going up a long enough hill to pull the mph’s down low enough to get it to kick down, but the minute we hit flat ground again it would get right back up to 66-67 mph. I could not get any boost rating since my boost gauge is currently not working.
I would love to have overdrive if I was going to pull any long distances simply for the better fuel economy. I do not think the motor or tranny will sustain any damage at 2600 rpm for long distances, I just think it will suck the diesel rather quickly.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You probably had somewhere around 6000 pounds car and trailer, honestly, with that rear end, I don't think OD would give you better fuel mileage while towing. With mine I have 4.10 rear and with my 5er in tow it's around 10k loaded to go and I've found that I get better fuel mileage in 4th letting it wind out a bit and not having to stand on it, than I do in 5th having to stand on it, plus I don't have to keep shifting, temps stay down boost stays up burns more air than fuel instead of gearing up and trying to force it down the road by shoving fuel down it's throat. Eventually I'm going to play around and put an aux tranny in there for a few more gears in between, but it looks like that's going to have to wait a little longer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger