First Gen Banks Turbo Kit Questions

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tomorrow I am going to look at a first gen banks turbo setup on an 86 6.9l with 88k. Motor is pulled out with no transmission. The owner stated that it ran when pulled, he had planned on doing a project truck with it but never got around to it. He also claimed that it had a 4 speed standard at the time. My question is will this kit bolt on to my 93 7.3 with the zf 5 or was the down pipe pedistal and y pipe different on the 4 speed. Tried to research this but didn't have much luck. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All 7.3 engines have the same tranny bolt pattern. The tranny is the one who must match the engine. In bigger diesels they run a #1 SAE or a #2 SAE bolt pattern on all big diesels. Not on our diesels.

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is not selling a transmission just the motor with the turbo. My question is will the kit which was meant for a 4 speed bolt up to my motor with the 5 speed or is the pedistal and piping different.

gandalf

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, though I'm sure some one here will. What I do have to offer is the installation manual for that Ist gen Banks turbo. I have it in pdf format if you need it.

If you would like a copy PM me with an email address.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The 1st Gen Banks turbo kits are trans specific. The ZF trans has a much deeper bellhousing than the others.

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1st Gen Banks turbo kits are trans specific. The ZF trans has a much deeper bellhousing than the others.

Yeah I'm not too familiar with the older transmissions. I'm a youngin haha. I was hoping someone may have been in a similar situation and could chime in.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't know why the trans would make any difference to bolting on the turbo to the intake. The crossover Y pipes would be the difference between the two trans.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not too familiar with the older transmissions. I'm a youngin haha. I was hoping someone may have been in a similar situation and could chime in.

That's why us old guys are here to help you youngsters out. ;Sweet
The early pedestal flanges have a bit different angle on the collector opening and the Y pipes are different to accommodate the trans size differences.

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's why us old guys are here to help you youngsters out. ;Sweet
The early pedestal flanges have a bit different angle on the collector opening and the Y pipes are different to accommodate the trans size differences.

Hey that's why I come to you all for questions! So yes I have found that out that there are all sorts of options for this damn thing. So my question is will the kit designed for a 6.9 with a 4 speed be compatible with my 7.3 zf 5! I just wanna know before is start digging into the job. Because what an animal I would be if I had it ripped apart and it doesn't work unknowingly haha.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I ended up with one from an E4OD trans and had to make a custom up pipe for it. With the angle of the collector, it wasn't an easy fix as I also had to grind one of the tabs off the trans to get enough room for the up pipe to fit and even then I had to squish the pipe to make it work. Wasn't the best setup but it worked at the time. The later Banks Sidewinder kits, ATS and Hypermax kits were more universal.

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't know why the trans would make any difference to bolting on the turbo to the intake. The crossover Y pipes would be the difference between the two trans.

I was thinking it was because there are two different styles of pedistals which I have come across in my readings. The question remains was the same kit designed for the the 4 speed manual going to work with my zf without an excessive amount of persuasion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online