fire rings

bayou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so hopfully this spring there will be biuld thread documenting my idi biuld, maxed out ip, studs, turbo, gearsplitter -Lame everyone around these parts runs a DMAX :puke: , cummins or powerstroke. i gotta show these guys what my old 86 can do.

so the questine of the day is, has anybody fire ringed or oringed one of these things? i cant find any info:dunno thanks!

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
so hopfully this spring there will be biuld thread documenting my idi biuld, maxed out ip, studs, turbo, gearsplitter -Lame everyone around these parts runs a DMAX :puke: , cummins or powerstroke. i gotta show these guys what my old 86 can do.

so the questine of the day is, has anybody fire ringed or oringed one of these things? i cant find any info:dunno thanks!

what do you mean about fire ring or oring the engine, Ive never heard of those terms before.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hypermax makes a "dynamic" headgasket for these IDI with "C"-rings. The deck of the block must be machined to accept the C-rings. The open portion of the C faces the cylinder and cylinder pressure expands the C against the block and the head preventing leaks. They have these gaskets/C-rings for the IDI's, PSD's (7.3 and 6.0), IH DT's, and JD's as well.

The only guy I've seen use them is Eric Sutton. Here are some photos of Eric's IDI build using the Hypermax gaskets and C-rings.

You must be registered for see images

HERE IS A LINK to the entire album.

The bad news is, that headgasket and C-ring set was apparently the last one Hypermax had. Sean (6 Nebraska IDIs) talked to them on the phone recently and they are looking into remaking these kits for the IDI.

Heath

Heath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would those gaskets handle the every day heat cycles on a daily driver? Would they last very long?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also where is the block machined? Right around the piston cylinder? Why do they call it a C-ring too?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey Heath is Eric family????

If so we need to talk some time about the flatlander build.:sly

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is eric active on a forum if so witch one id like to see where this build goes thanks for the intell

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would those gaskets handle the every day heat cycles on a daily driver? Would they last very long?
I've bought some DT466 parts from a tractor puller in Arkanas who is using these on his DT466. He has used the same set of C-rings and same headgasket for over 3 years. Yes, he as pulled the head on and off multiple times during that time and reused both the rings and the gasket. He said he's never, NEVER, had a head gasket failure of cylinder leak and he's pushing close to 200 psi with triples! I'm going to use them on my DT466. If he can get that kind of reliability with them pushing that much fuel and boost, I'm sure they will be just fine at a "measly" 30 psi.LOL Sean said Hypermax had no issue with them being used in a daily driver. No offense to Justin, but, don't beleave everything you hear from someone who has never seen them much less used them in a HO diesel.

Also where is the block machined? Right around the piston cylinder? Why do they call it a C-ring too?
Yes, the block is machined with a groove around the cylinders on the deck. You can see the machined groove in the block's deck in the 1st picture in the above post. On the DT, you machine the groove in the cylinder sleeve, not the block as they are wet sleeve engines. They call them a "C" ring becuse the are just that, a C. The ring is open not solid. The open portion faces the combustion gases and the more pressure the more it expands the C against the head and block preventing leaks.

Hey Heath is Eric family????

If so we need to talk some time about the flatlander build.:sly
Nope, no relation. But, I like the way he does things.LOL

Heath

Last edited:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've bought some DT466 parts from a tractor puller in Arkanas who is using these on his DT466. He has used the same set of C-rings and same headgasket for over 3 years. Yes, he as pulled the head on and off multiple times during that time and reused both the rings and the gasket. He said he's never, NEVER, had a head gasket failure of cylinder leak and he's pushing close to 200 psi with triples! I'm going to use them on my DT466. If he can get that kind of reliability with them pushing that much fuel and boost, I'm sure they will be just fine at a "measly" 30 psi.LOL Sean said Hypermax had no issue with them being used in a daily driver. No offense to Justin, but, don't beleave everything you hear from someone who has never seen them much less used them in a HO diesel.

Yes, the block is machined with a groove around the cylinders on the deck. You can see the machined groove in the block's deck in the 1st picture in the above post. On the DT, you machine the groove in the cylinder sleeve, not the block as they are wet sleeve engines. They call them a "C" ring becuse the are just that, a C. The ring is open not solid. The open portion faces the combustion gases and the more pressure the more it expands the C against the head and block preventing leaks.

Nope, no relation. But, I like the way he does things.LOL

Heath

I knew they would be awesome for racing applications and stuff like that but just wasn't sure about the everyday heat cycles. But if Hypermax says they work, I will definitely take your word on that. Did they say if there was any possibility of them making some more again? If so what all is involved it the machining process? Just machining the block? And if so would I be able to have the block machined if I left the pistons and crank in? I'm just trying to think of the easiest way to do it without completely taking everything apart...

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would depend on whether hypermax still has the tooling to make the rings and gaskets. I would not be surprised to hear that they dont. Would be nice to find something like that however. I wondered to myself what it would take to use c-rings designed for something else and make them work. I have no idea what would be involved in that though.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would depend on whether hypermax still has the tooling to make the rings and gaskets. I would not be surprised to hear that they dont. Would be nice to find something like that however. I wondered to myself what it would take to use c-rings designed for something else and make them work. I have no idea what would be involved in that though.

I wonder if we could use a C-ring from another application as long as it is the same bore? Are there any other specs that we would need to worry about? Also is it a regular gasket that is used along with the C-rings too? Sorry about the dumb questions. I'm just learning. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online