Finding a good rebuildable 6.9

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think about finding another engine for the ol' gal and building it up a little at a time.
Any advice on what (and where) to look for in a good used 6.9, and what I can expect to pay?
I'd imagine they're a little hard to find...
I live in central Texas, BTW.

Thanks!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are tough to find, and even tougher to get someone to rebuild them correctly. You will see a few 6.9 engines out there, but you need to make sure it's a B block (85+ year). These blocks are beefed up and aren't prone to cracking around block heater area.
When it is all said & done, expect to be in it around 4-5k. Seems to be the norm with these engines.
I got a fully rebuilt 6.9 ready to run sitting on roller stand that I bought as a spare. Complete with rebuilt IP & injectors. Probably far fetched seeing where you live, but pm me if you are interested.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think about finding another engine for the ol' gal and building it up a little at a time.
Any advice on what (and where) to look for in a good used 6.9, and what I can expect to pay?
I'd imagine they're a little hard to find...
I live in central Texas, BTW.

Thanks!

I just rebuilt a 6.9 (I had owned and run it for two years previous) and honestly I don't think I'd do it if I were starting with an unknown engine. I think I would buy a rebuilt 7.3 from Promar, or sleeve and rebuild a 7.3. Mostly because parts like pistons, rings, pre-cups, and a few others are easier to find (and you will have more options).

My two cents,

Kirk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lead on a running 6.9 here in Texas that I could help you rebuild, pm me if youre interested.

its also true that the 6.9 internals are cheaper than 7.3 internals, such as the pistons.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i have a running 86 6.9 sitting in my shed. pulled it out of my parts truck. its my spare till i do my cummins or dt 360 swap. They go for around 600 for a used one around here on craigslist.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
They are tough to find, and even tougher to get someone to rebuild them correctly.....
When it is all said & done, expect to be in it around 4-5k. Seems to be the norm with these engines.
I got a fully rebuilt 6.9 ready to run sitting on roller stand that I bought as a spare. Complete with rebuilt IP & injectors. Probably far fetched seeing where you live, but pm me if you are interested.

Just checked motorcraft. Local dealer has 12 short blocks on hand remaned to Ford standards for $4K. Long block (Complete) reman, $6K. Ever have a problem, There will be a stealership near by...Can't say that about jaspers and others. Even worse with the no name places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online