Finally installed coolant filter... Tight fit, relocate right fender parts?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Well I finally installed my coolant filter. I was putting it off for months because although it looked like there was room, it was actually just a bit too tight in any place I tried. I moved the glow plug relay (I think that's what it is, maybe there are several for glow plugs?) off the fender and then moved the voltage regulator onto the fender and now it fits with ample room to change the filter.

Here's the install. Note I went inline and before the heater core as opposed to a separate loop or parallel loop as I've been popping these cheap replacement heater cores every few months. Hoping the restriction from the filter may drop pressure and help them last longer.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'd like to relocated some of the inner fender parts for a cleaner more compact engine bay. Would like to keep it open and simple so there is room for anything else I may add. I was tempted to remove that metal tray on the inner fender and clean and paint it but I'll save that for when I'm ready to clean up the wiring a bit. Getting the bolts installed from the backside on the fender was tricky but I managed, and think this location makes a cleaner install than hanging it next to the fuel filter (that was Plan B).

I did pull the vacuum diaphragm with electric switch and clean and paint it since I had to remove those bolts to put the other solenoid there. What does that do? Is it a low vacuum switch for brakes? My brake light does not come on on a cold start when there is little or no vacuum for a couple seconds. I'd like to determine what that should do and if I should bother keeping it.

The vacuum reservoir is pretty small, anyone relocate this elsewhere?

Voltage regulator will be gone eventually as I'm planning on a 3g swap for more power and cleaner install.

What do each of those solenoids do? When I clean up the wiring and do a 3g I figure I can tuck those on the fender where the voltage regulator is now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The one you moved off the fender is the starter solenoid/relay.
The vacuum deal is a low vacuum warning. That's not exactly how it works. Think the engine has to be running.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did my coolant filter install, I thought about putting it in the same spot where you did, but it looked to me like there wasn't enough clearance under the filter to spin the filter off for replacement. How well does the filter come off in that location?

Also, what year's your truck?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Hope it doesn't get very cold where you live because with the filter in the loop there will be low flow through the heater core.

I realize this. There is a restriction (fairly small outlet hole in the filter head) but heat seemed fine this morning which was a little brisk. I'm hoping the restriction will prevent these cheap replacement heater cores from popping every 3 months. If heat is insufficient come winter I'll just throw a T in each of lines and connect them so it still flows but does not restrict the heater core.

When I did my coolant filter install, I thought about putting it in the same spot where you did, but it looked to me like there wasn't enough clearance under the filter to spin the filter off for replacement. How well does the filter come off in that location?

Also, what year's your truck?

I originally hoped to install it further back on the fender, but the hood spring/hinge would hit it. That is about as far back as it'll go and leave a bit of clearance. it is as high as it'll go and not hit the hood. The voltage regulator was directly below preventing removal of the filter so I relocated that to the fender and now there is plenty of room. Truck is an '86.

IHdieselfan

Reaction score
If you want a shorter filter try a 24069 it is a non conditioner type filter like the 24070 but it a little shorter might make changes a little easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online