Finally Got The Filler Neck Mod Right!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
I dont see what the big deal is?! It took me 7 minutes exactally to fill up, walk in, pay with card and sign, and leave! That isnt that much time! I do have to hold the nozzle usually when i am filling up but you have to wait for it to leave anyway so may as well hold it! It will take the big rig size nozzle or smaller. So again i ask what is the big deal with filling these trucks with fuel?:rolleyes:

D_C,

The filler necks on our trucks have a 1" hose inside the filler necks and it goes down into the tanks, and the air inside the tanks has to displace out around the outside of the hose up the filler neck and out the little slot to vent the tank. Often the hose inside the filler neck will be twisted or kinked which will make faom back up and shut the nozzle off or the air cannot escape out the little slot fast enough and then it backs the filler neck hose up and shuts the nozzle off. It can be a real PITA if you have a particularly problematic filler neck, thus the mod. Sounds like yours arent that way or possibly someone already gutted the necks. Take a look inside your fill hole, it should be about 1 " with an 1/8 inch slot for air displacement.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
I dont see what the big deal is?! It took me 7 minutes exactally to fill up, walk in, pay with card and sign, and leave! That isnt that much time! I do have to hold the nozzle usually when i am filling up but you have to wait for it to leave anyway so may as well hold it! It will take the big rig size nozzle or smaller. So again i ask what is the big deal with filling these trucks with fuel?:rolleyes:

DC,

you're the blessed one because my rear tank was a slow miserable dribble when filling. Almost took The Hulk in for a prostate check:eek: . With the new breather and gutted filler it is night and day. The front is tolerable but I'm going to mod it as well.

WPineF

Rider of the Dragon
Reaction score
The Bronco tanks are 33 gallons and hang down about 2 inches more than the tank that I went with either way you need a new home for the spare. I did my tank and all parts for $330. :D

Dave

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I redid my fuel pickup and deep sixed a lot of the fuel tank vent stuff, but still have that junk in the neck itself and teh stock rollover valve. After my mechanic got the sender ring tight, it doesn't want to accept fuel, with no apparent restrictions in the system. If I put the 1" heater hose elbow in place of the rollover vent, but don't want to gut the neck or attach the hose on to it, what would happen. That is if I just left teh hose hanging like the stock hos or put it up high somewhere. Wouldn't it still vent air?

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Originally posted by jdkline
I redid my fuel pickup and deep sixed a lot of the fuel tank vent stuff, but still have that junk in the neck itself and teh stock rollover valve. After my mechanic got the sender ring tight, it doesn't want to accept fuel, with no apparent restrictions in the system. If I put the 1" heater hose elbow in place of the rollover vent, but don't want to gut the neck or attach the hose on to it, what would happen. That is if I just left teh hose hanging like the stock hos or put it up high somewhere. Wouldn't it still vent air?

You don't want that breather open to the air because you'll probably suck dirt and crud into the tank. To attach your fitting for the new breather you'll have to remove the neck so you might as well gut it. It only takes a 1" hole saw or maybe a step bit and then use a sawsall or something to make a quick cut in the restricter in the neck. Put the neck in a vice and use some pliers and work the restricter out of the neck. This allows a better flow of fuel and bigger nozzles if you need to fill at a truck stop. Once the neck is out it's worth gutting it.

Last edited:

WPineF

Rider of the Dragon
Reaction score
If you pulled the hose out of the neck with no vent hose it won't fill for nothin' been there and got the shirt.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online