finally got first idi!

Danmerica

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up my first idi. If any of you remember my last post I was teetering with two trucks. I decided to go with the 94 f350 cc xlt drw. Ill get pics up this weekend, work has been busy and hadn't had time but I'm not complaining about that. While toiling with the truck I've noticed that when I try to cold start it when switched to the first tank its a b#### to start but it starts fine with the rear. But after I get it started with the rear tank and drive then switch to the front its fine. I would think if it wasn't getting enough fuel while starting it wouldn't while driving either, I'm stumped.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
you probably need a new return line kit. old leaky lines allow air in the system causing a painful start in the morning

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds more like a fuel switching valve on its way out.
watch your tanks and their comsumption.
if one drain quickly and the other gains feul, you have a fsv problem.

Danmerica

Reaction score
sounds more like a fuel switching valve on its way out.
watch your tanks and their comsumption.
if one drain quickly and the other gains feul, you have a fsv problem.

Explain the fsv,and how it might be the prob.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fsv is the fuel tank selector valve. It is basically a motor that flips the supply and return lines one way to run on the front tank and the other to work on the rear. They are a known trouble spot on these trucks. It could stick so that it works on one tank only, sucks fuel from both tanks or won't let you move any fuel. It works by changing the polarity of the 12VDC that go to it. It's a pain in the tail to work with.

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem except the problem is with my rear tank, my reason is because the fuel lines are leaking between the rear tank and the switching valve, so its sucking in air. check your fuel lines from your front tank

Danmerica

Reaction score
Ok the fsv sorta makes sense. But why would it work when I switch to the front while driving and not starting.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Because its not completely switching from the front to the rear tank... Mostly happens when some trash gets stuck in the valve ports...

Danmerica

Reaction score
Because its not completely switching from the front to the rear tank... Mostly happens when some trash gets stuck in the valve ports...

Thanks. I looked online autoparts store and they have two choices. what should I be looking for.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I looked online autoparts store and they have two choices. what should I be looking for.

I should be a 6 port valve. Two per tank (one supply, one return) and two going to a from the engine.

Last time I bought one, I got it from Ford, but it was pricey.

Heath

Danmerica

Reaction score
I should be a 6 port valve. Two per tank (one supply, one return) and two going to a from the engine.

Last time I bought one, I got it from Ford, but it was pricey.

Heath

The ones I saw online were 60

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine this last weekend. I bought one online from Rock Auto. It was not an exact match to the stock FSV. The one I purchased had the ports for the rubber fuel lines not the Ford fuel lines with the quick connectors. The electrical connector was different also. I had to cut the stock fuel lines and transition from them to regular fuel lines which was a pain. I think if I were to do it over I would spend the extra money and get one from the dealer. There are some great threads on here that show the electrical schematics for the connector and some additional info. That helped me big time!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online