Few questions regarding IP

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When do you know the IP is tired? I have read about issues that are associated with a worn IP, but if your truck is running well, how do you know when it is time for a new pump?

When changing IP's.... if I am pulling an IP from a parts engine, and it is the factory pump, can I just align the timing mark on the parts pump to where my old pump was? I am extremely tired, so that one might be a stupid question.. but my brain is pretty blank at the moment. :D

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just started losing power all of a sudden. Developed a high rpm miss and eventually wouldnt drive. Fortunately i had a spare with me on the road trip i was on and swapped it out on the side of the highway. No idea how you would know it is time for a new pump, other than the fact that they seem to have a life of around 100k - 150k mi.

Aligning the marks of a pump off a different truck will get it close enough to run decent enough. To get it running its best you are gona have to get it timed professionally.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The timing marks on the IP were made when the engine was built and hot tested for that particular engine. If you notice, on #1 cyl. where the fuel line connects (if it's still there) there is a special fitting that was used to time the engine. IDI engine only, don't know how many years that was used. This is just an assumption by me, having torn one apart, there is two buttons,one on each side that appears to be quartz. but what else could it have been used for. So, as said, replacing an IP would require timing. 1/32" either way from the aligned marks makes a huge difference in timing.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I made a stupid mistake a while back & here's the thread helping me fix it. All related to timing an IP, worked flawless. Look for the post about Ziggs timing talk. Should help you get setup properly but you should still have it timed after you get it in.

Clicky

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All pumps reduce fuel output and retard their timing through normal wear. Typically, 100K is a good target for replacement. 80,000 is better, 120,000 not so good. They all CAN work fine, even in old age with high milage, but what you can't tell is the amount of performance and fuel economy you have lost. It's just like getting older as a person. When your young, you can do stuff that you just can't hack as easily when your older. The change was so subtile, you just don't realize it until your singing "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I am not sure how many miles it has on it, but it looks original. My other pump looks a lot newer. The pump that is currently on it seems to be doing fine, so I guess I will leave it alone for now. My milage is 12-16mpg with an ext. cab,4x4, c6. , on a country road with curves and small hills. There doesn't seem to be a loss of power, but I wouldn't know.. It does feel like the injectors are TOAST. I have been hearing what I believe to be an injector knock. The other morning I had a slight issue when starting the truck... It cranked over and immediately sounded like it fired, as usual.. but it didn't. I tried it again, same thing.. On the 3rd try I held the key on longer , until I was sure that it had fired. It ran like crap, briefly sounded like it had no oil, though oil pressure was normal and I had just checked the oil level.. After a few seconds it cleared up and ran fine. I haven't had the problem since. I was thinking that it was either bad diesel/ clogged injector, or air in the line. :confused:

Last edited: