Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Get rid of running boards and add steps

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Evening!
My 93 has factory fiberglass running boards, that I really like but am worried about the rust. The only rust on the truck is from them, and I will be fixing that soon, but I am trying to figure if I should leave them off or put them back on and keep after the rust.
I am on the fence about it. I would appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Personally, I like the way that those running boards look so my vote is to keep them. I'd be MUCH more inclined to change out what appear to be auto locking front hubs and put a pair of manual hubs on there. I don't trust the auto 4X4 stuff like hubs and transfer cases. Maybe it's also the reason why I prefer the IDI engines over the PSD. Simpler and less electronics.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd keep them on. Get yourself some fluid film to spray around the seams. Should help keep the rust down.

I'd spray around those fender flares too.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Personally, I like the way that those running boards look so my vote is to keep them. I'd be MUCH more inclined to change out what appear to be auto locking front hubs and put a pair of manual hubs on there. I don't trust the auto 4X4 stuff like hubs and transfer cases. Maybe it's also the reason why I prefer the IDI engines over the PSD. Simpler and less electronics.
Don't worry, I hate auto hubs just as much as you. They will be getting swapped out soon. The worst part about them is not being able to use 4lo with the hubs unlocked to back a trailer on pavement. Huge drawback for me.

Rock

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe those are “factory” running boards. IIRC they were made by Lund. They were super common back in the day on conversion packages. I always preferred a more rugged looking “off road” type step like a nerf bar etc.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I would keep them, they are part of the package that sets the truck apart from others, without them it is just a plain black crew cab.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d keep them. Make sure you crawl under there and check that the bracing and brackets are solid so that the fiberglass doesn’t begin cracking. I would also modify that front bumper with the powerstroke cutout. Much more air flow across the bottom of the radiator. LMC sells the plastic insert for $15. Made a big difference for me.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I’d keep them. Make sure you crawl under there and check that the bracing and brackets are solid so that the fiberglass doesn’t begin cracking. I would also modify that front bumper with the powerstroke cutout. Much more air flow across the bottom of the radiator. LMC sells the plastic insert for $15. Made a big difference for me.
It looks like there is one brace missing, and the passenger side rear running board has a small crack. I should be able to take care of that pretty easily, but otherwise they are actually in pretty good shape.
I will definitely look into the bumper cutouts. I will be pulling the bumper off anyhow to swap front fenders, so now is the time i suppose.thanks

Rock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online