Exhuast doesn't smell like diesel and a few additions

Lumberjack84

Reaction score
Hey all, ever since I've actually started driving the truck as a daily back in january my friends always says it smells bad in the exhaust, come to find out it does. its not coolant, no white smoke, no blue smoke, no oil or coolant consumption. when I start it up in the morning and flick the high idle on it smells just like a normal diesel would. warms up and then it smells just different. can't describe it really, Its not sweet or eye burning. gauges I put in a bit ago and the switches for the bumper lights and the high idle
You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels stink, that's one of the reasons they have never caught on with the masses. That and the noise.

Lumberjack84

Reaction score
if you're talking about the pump timing its a hair advanced past the mark. and by not smelling like diesel i mean I can have a another idi or diesel drive past and it'll smell like a normal diesel. this smell isn't rotten or anything like that it's just a different smell. also followed what people said about my cone filter and went with this

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nice. I would fiddle with the timing. Best option would be to put a meter on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Lumberjack84

Reaction score
I fiddled with the timing today, results: middle line same smell, towards driver same smell and got hotter on the gauge and then back to advanced like I had it same smell. I wanna say like an oil smell but no oil consumption. I never really smelled it before I turned the fuel up after I started driving it. could that be it? I'm 2 turns away from max, some smoke and it clears up quick with the turbo. only time I really smell what i'm talking about is tapping the throttle or driving through a little puff of smoke, never got to smell it while driving. also any way to seal up the up pipe slip fit?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check your valve cover gaskets? maybe your seeping oil out onto the manifolds and it's causing the smell?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About 2 turns from max fuel.. Where is this screw you are turning up to get more fuel...:dunno