Exhaust options

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Howdy,
Spend more time downstairs but got one for the '03 wifey drives.
Just got it back from the stealership and had a few warranty issues, EGR, EBP, MAF sensor and finally gave in on the reflash. :eek:
Got away without it for 2 years and not many issues till last week when the check engine light stayed on more than off. All fixed and the thing runs pretty dang good now. (sorry don't drive it much cookoo )
Well back on track. Wifey wants some larger tubing going out the back end for a little more noise, but am cautious about warranty and trans shifting issues with the change to larger/free flowing exhaust.
I was contemplating a change from the resonator back to 5" for one option. The second option is just sliding in a different muffler (Dynomax) in the stock location.
Good idea or has any one had warranty issues in changing exhaust systems? :confused:
The dealership already got me pegged for improper maint....4700 miles from last oil change :rotflmao .......Long story

Thanks

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She wants more noise, then get the MBRP turboback duals. Turbo whine sounds like a F16, and it sounds like a big block gasser. Keith

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
Knew I was going to do exhaust,
so I tried the cheap approach first for a bit....
straight exhaust, no muffler...
the Ex's cabin noise - drone was just too much on long trips.
Around town it sounded STOUT... but it IS a travelling vehicle so,
got a turbo back kit. 3.5" downpipe to 4 inch rest of the way...
left the cat out for a week but decided to put it back in to mellow the sound a bit...
seems to run fine and the wifey likes the tone/low rumble....

as I've gotten about 10k miles on it it sounds like it's rumbling a bit more, but that's fine :thumbsup:
and the f-16 turbo whine is still there if I need it !!!

Last edited:

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher,

If you want a system that fits easily and keeps the Ford warranty guys away get one of the MBRP system from us. The MBRP is the only system that allows you to reinstall the factory cat without any modifications to the cat at all. They are available in aluminized, 409 and 304 stainless as well as in duals and singles. Sound great, been running it on my 11-02 built 6.0 since 1-03!! Call us if you have any questions etc, by the way if you go off road or race we have a bolt in cat test pipe that fits the MBRP system too!

Mark @ DPPI

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a choice of tips get the 6" slant cut. For pics on wht they look like check out the link in my sig. I have the older version of the MBRP turboback duals. I've had the system on my 1/04 built truck 1 month after I took delivery. The older version doesn't have provisions for the cat. Mark, did you install the 6" tips yet? Keith

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Guys, Thanks for the info. ;Sweet
Mark, I might be given ya a call after I show wifey the info. Told her bout it today at work and she sounds pretty excited. :D
I will prolly just stick with the cat back setup for now as I really don't want to go all the way up to the turbo as I don't have it chipped and have heard "stories" about larger exhaust issues with the Torque-shift trans. Any thoughts?
cookoo

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher,

The trans issue is a dealer, myth, trick or lie or whatever you want to call it, the exhaust turbo back or cat back will not change anything other than lower EGT's, raise MPG, and quicken spool up on your turbo. We have been selling them since we instaled the first one on my truck in 1-03 with no problems what so ever.

Get with the boss on the green stuff and call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're only going to do a catback system at least spring for the duals. That way you can put some noise in the boom-boom cars no matter which side they are on. Keith

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well let me toss this out,
Since it doesn't look like there is alot of extra room up front, how difficult was it to swap out to larger pipes from the turbo back and is there a need for the exhaust wrapping? :confused:

I know on the ole IDI's dropping an air stuffer on there required some firewall persuasion. :backoff

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher ,

With our MBRP systems it's a bolt in deal and the insulation is destined for the trash can, Ford stopped using it in 2004 anyway!

Mark @ DPPI

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Mark Craig said:
Dsl_Dog_Catcher ,

With our MBRP systems it's a bolt in deal and the insulation is destined for the trash can, Ford stopped using it in 2004 anyway!

Mark @ DPPI
;Sweet
Thanks for the info. I am currently on my annual training and when finished am looking forward to tweaking up mommas' ride. She can't wait either. :D

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
you should spring for a 4" turbo back, dumping into 5" stacks. thats just awesome. and jegs is alot cheaper for the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online