Exhaust/Muffler suggestions

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm back from my trip and have the time I'd like to upgrade the exhaust since I've upgraded my pump and injectors.

This is a N/A engine, not looking for loud, obnoxious, true duals, etc...

Looking to go 3" y to 3" back to stock location but need a suggestions muffler and any other good tips.

Magnaflow is what my exhaust shop is reccomending and I like it on my Tahoe and my Ranger. Quiet and free flowing.

Thanks!

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best muffler ever made...

Turbo.

:D

Don't want or need. Just sold a complete ATS 093 that I was gonna put on. I drive mostly in Mexico with the truck on dirt roads. I have all the power I need and don't want extra problems... I have enough with a 20 y/o truck.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I put a similar exhaust system on my 84. Not sure what kind fo muffler it is but is some "free flowing" unit and its just a tad louder than stock. The whole job cost me $800 and I haven't noticed any increase in mileage, power etc... That $800 could have gone elsewhere I think.

Exhaust upgrades seems to have a bigger difference in performance in turbo'd trucks in my opinion.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a similar exhaust system on my 84. Not sure what kind fo muffler it is but is some "free flowing" unit and its just a tad louder than stock. The whole job cost me $800 and I haven't noticed any increase in mileage, power etc... That $800 could have gone elsewhere I think.

Exhaust upgrades seems to have a bigger difference in performance in turbo'd trucks in my opinion.

Wow! $800! I've already been quoted by my exhaust guy for y pipe and all the way back with magnaflow for $495. 3in to behind the rear tire.

It was reccomended by my pump builder as we stepped up fuel output. As of right now my seat of the pants dyno says I've got an increase. Especially fully loaded going up the steep hills and still have power to pass.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed 3 inch to exit right before the rear tire, with a cheap-o Thrush Turbo muffler. Sounds good, but louder than I like. Planning on keeping the muffler, but just picking up a later PSD exhaust setup from the junkyard so I can get it exiting the stock location again.

Might want to go that route to keep it quiet and free flowing, and as long as the yard hasn't trashed the pipe with a forklift, you should be able to get the whole exhaust with the muffler for cheap, and have a shop install it up to the 3" downpipe.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
my friend has a 7.3L IDI n/a and he has a 3.5" factory psd system including the psd muffler and it sounds good. not loud at all, but it still sounds like a diesel. in fact it sounds more like a diesel than my turbo diesel does.:mad::backoff

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with magna flow I put a 3" downpipe to 4" downpipe back system from them on and it sounded like a 302 with a factory exhaust system so I replaced the mufler with a turndown now it sounds a comdination of an IDI and a 6.0

evilplan

Reaction score
Surfib, if you need an exhaust I have a used banks kit just sitting in the garage I would let go cheap! I'm not too far north

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
These guysare completely off their tree spending $500-800 on an exhaust system for one of these things cookoo
Go to a big truck parts supply and get the piping and bends and a nice straight through big truck muffler as long as you can fit in and you will have a muffler designed for the application that will give no back pressure and will not run you out of the truck. Spend a few extra bucks and get the band clamps instead of the ubolts so it will be easy to take apart when you need to work on things. I did my whole system on a crew cab in4" for less than $150 ( and that was using teh high dollar clamps :D )
If you let an exhaust shop weld you a system together, you are going to curse the day you were born the next time you have to work on something down there, because you are going to wind up having to cut it out and then havign to run around with it wired up until you can get it welded back together again ( heck, I've even got all the welding equipment and used to work in a muffler shop and I STILL wouldn't put a system in my truck that way... you just can't beat the simplicity of a band clamped system the way commercial systems are built , they do it that way for ease of road service ;Sweet