^@#&(# exhaust manifold bolts

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
got a 95 with low miles, unfortuneatly it is a 1 ton dump with a plow and salt spreader.
ran and put away dirty, so much rust and corosion that the transfer case rotted away.

any how I need to remove the pass side manifold to put a gasket in it.
The nice 13mm headed bolts are rusted dow to about 8-12 mm.
had luck on the last one with the inverted ezouts, .
problem on this one is the bolts beng corroded to the manifold vrs the threads bieng corroded.

any tips, or ideas appreciated.
Nick

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat and rap it with a hammer a few times to jar some of the corrosion then soak it but good with PB blaster or something like that.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slow and easy....?
Heat and rap it with a hammer a few times to jar some of the corrosion then soak it but good with PB blaster or something like that.

They are both right but I think both posts need to be combined. The penetrant may need 2 - 3 days (sometimes more) soak in a case like that with the occasional rap with the hammer.

Best penetrants I have used are:
  1. Silikroil
  2. PB Blaster
Nothing else I have used works nearly as well as these two.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Grind off the rusted bolt head. Once the manifold is off it will be easier to remove the rest of the bolt with a penetrating oil, heat and vice grips.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 point socket....red wrench the nut....and pray....

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
only problem with cutting the heads off , is the shank will still be stuck in the manifold, last on I did it was tighter than being pressed.
been soakin and rappin for 2 days so far.
havent gotten far though.
thinking of drillin a hole in the manifold where the bolt is to help the pb get in around the bolt.
Nick

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thinking of drillin a hole in the manifold where the bolt is to help the pb get in around the bolt.

Bad idea IMHO

Think its time for the hot wrench or take it to a good welding shop. Just remembered a trick we used to do. On rounded off nut or bolt heads you can weld a new nut onto them and oftem get them right out when they are still hot.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If the mainofold is heated red hot with a torch it will loosen the rust. Rust burns fast when exposed to the blue wrench. Even if you have to cut the heads of the bolt off then heat the mainifold to get it off the studs that are left it is going to go easier with the flame.
Salt spreaders suck! I have seen exhaust manifolds rust through on a salt spreader.
Ken

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try tightening it a bit then try to loosen it.... while you are loosening it, smack it some where close to it, if you are using a 6pt wrench smack the stud directly while applying presure, and if your using a socket smack the manifold right next to the socket....if you use a red wrench...start on an outside corner to pre heat the nut and when you stary burning start headding down toward the threads.... (as not to heat up the stud and burn thru that).....you can also only partially cut the nut and keep it cherry red and take a chissle and cut thru the nut....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online