Erratic High Idle

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
In the last 2 weeks my high idle has become erratic when engaged manually. Before it will start nice then when the cold advance turned off it would rev up and down slowly but only around 50 - 100 rpm. Now I'm only getting 100 rpm off Idle to screaming at 3000 or somewhere in between depending on how it feels at that moment. Then there's other times it works just fine.

The H.I. is set at about 1100 when warm so it's only about 900 when dead cold. Most of the time it will sit there and be a good boy and do it's usual 50 rpm loop but some times it has a fit. It will start to rev up and down on it's own some times slowly other times in steps. I mean steps like normal H.I. to 3000 to 1500 then back to normal idle +100 back to H.I. I have baby sat this truck and have had it happen many times with my head under the hood it's like some one is working the throttle but the IP arm never moves.

This happens when the manual high idle is engaged (soleniod extended) and the cold advance turns off, this is when the kashesties come out to play. The M.H.I. is a SPST switch that by pass's the high idle temp switch and has worked for years or have I been just lucky?

The reason I use the M.H.I. is directly cause by our complete lack of global warming and my truck will not warm on it's own even with 2 block heaters and a pan heater. 5 - 10 min is all it needs. But 10 min at 3000 in -35 is definatly not doing it any favors or while I'm in the house might be the end of it. I'm geting tired of running out of the house in sock feet to save it from it's self. GRRR

I have a clear piece of tubing coming off the IP and there is no air in there ever, so are air leaks are ruled out.? I have no air in the water drain or the top of the filter adapter.

There is no visible blow by, it passed a manometer test in fall time.

Is there a chance my pump is going out or am I missing something simple?

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
I don't think it's fuel starvation cause it runs great other wise, well as good as it ever has. The fuel is the same stuff all my other diesels run on. Good quality winter fuel with additive and new filter. I'm thinking pump or governor issues because the problem only comes up on manual high idle but not all the time.