engineering flaws you dispise

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al your too funny. I completely agree with all you posted. Our beloved idi has some issues but.. Thats all make nice when you try buying parts or when we refuel after a long trip. these engines sip fuel wisely. But not as well as a 6.2 or 6.5 GM..

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Skinny steering wheel in slant noses. Feels like I'm holding on to an extension cord.

F*ing engine that weighs more than most cars (and doesn't need to). Do we really need all that protection for the crank/cam/IP gears? And then they use a stupid thin piece of sheet metal to mount the water pump, just because they ran out of IRON around the gears and all the other places on the block that just have big chunks of iron for no reason.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80-86 - LOCATION OF HIGH BEAM INDICATOR! every truck I have driven with a non tilt column put the indicator behind the wheel. can see it at all

Funny, in mine it's the turn signal indicators that are blocked by my wheel. I'm about 5'10" so I'm not the tallest, but I think my seat may be a little tired XD

When my dad owned the truck he complained about the high beam indicator too, he's got 3 inches on me. The blocked turn signal indicators really annoy me though.

For me, I hate accessing the top nut for the clutch master cylinder. Takes FOREVER to get it out.

But far and above the worst, worst, WORST for me is the TILT ON THE STEERING COLUMN. I find it ironic that all these years later, the LOWER trim package is sought after for the steering column because the fancier expensive one fails so much. If my wheel falls into my lap ONE more time...-cuss

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obs driver door wiring harness not having a plug to undo the passenger side has a plug but know... We were to stupid to put one in. I thought I was going crazy but I went to pick n pull yard and every drive door that was removed had the harness cut. And yea the brick nose has a plug but they took it out on the next body style ***????????

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Showerhead fuel pickups. No overdrive in 83-87 trucks. TTB front ends. And the lack of an inline injection pump.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny no one mentioned it yet, how about that ever so wonderful E4OD :sly:sly and the bolts that are under the cab for the transmission cross member that you cant get a wrench on there unless you have new body mounts :mad:

And the all time hated by everyone RUST!!!!!!!-cuss-cuss-cuss

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....And the all time hated by everyone RUST!!!!!!!-cuss-cuss-cuss

I really don't mind rust...makes it less appealing a truck and people don't park to close to me and when I drive down the road near fancy cars ...the move over case some fugly rubs off...

Just saying some tastefully located rust, dents and other bent metal and miss matched paint is quite rewarding to drive at times...with a DILLIGAF attitude to go with it!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..stupid thin piece of sheet metal to mount the water pump, just because they ran out of IRON..

Love it! That made me laugh good. :)

I like how they over beefed up everything. Its the first time I have read about how something was done to the engine to make it last and durable rather than to save weight.

I'll add in from that though..

Cast iron block.. cast iron manual indestructible T19... aluminum extension housing and transfer case...

And just to add to it, the extension housing also bolts to the transmisison mount which bolts to the steel crossmember and of course to the transfer case. That aluminum housing is the only thing other than the bellhousing and shafts which is holding the transmission and transfer case in the air and it is the only thing taking on any twist motion or resistance coming from the engine, transmission and the front and rear diffs!!

Dunno what happened there but someone changed their mind about half way through the process. Why wouldn't you want to make that part cast iron? I guess its another thing that came from running out of iron after the block and transmission. LOL.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those junk flimsy sagging front bumpers.

I wish the windshield was held in with molding like the rear window.

OH OH OH no stinking cup holders. LOL

The Rab's.

More to come...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al your too funny. I completely agree with all you posted. Our beloved idi has some issues but.. Thats all make nice when you try buying parts or when we refuel after a long trip. these engines sip fuel wisely. But not as well as a 6.2 or 6.5 GM..
Why....oh....why Gary am I so funny???

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Showerhead fuel pickups. No overdrive in 83-87 trucks. TTB front ends. And the lack of an inline injection pump.
X2!!! Although I could live with a Bosch rotary injector pump.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...while I understand Ford and IH wanted to keep the diesel option from costing an arm and a leg, I really wish they had spent the money on a Bosch fuel system. The Ford and GM IDI's are the only diesels I've ever seen where the injector pump and the injectors are wear items. Yes, Bosch injectors will wear and need to be rebuilt after 200K to 300K miles, but even then, they're not throwaways...you disassemble the body, replace the tip (or possibly even just thoroughly clean the innards up), and you're good to go ;Sweet

Another one to add to the list...who was the genius who designed the plastic locking mechanism on Ford electrical connectors?

You must be registered for see images attach

(best example I could readily find)

I have yet to have to disconnect one of these that didn't require enough force to end up breaking in my hand -cuss -cuss -cuss

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an IDI thing but the genious that thought it was a good idea to use 6 inch long 5/16" studs through the aluminum timing cover to hold the water pump on the 302 fords should be drug out into the street and shot. What could possibly go wrong there?

Inner wheel wells over the rear wheels that are near impossible to get cleaned out so it is garunteed to rust out.

And my current beef.... spring shackle bolts!!! Couldn't have come up with something better that wouldn't be impossible to remove?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually like the skinny wheel in the Slantnose.........

Here is one for the early guys (83-86)..........

How about the IVR??????

You know, the little silver box that makes all your gauges do the "Ford Wander"..... Everything goes to the high side.... hit a bump...... drift back down to normal............