ENGINE TIMING

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bear with me everybody. I've never changed IP before. PO took off pump,cover,and gear!! I pulled #1 glow plug,turned mtr. over until I heard compression blow out. Then looked at harm. balancer. There are 2 timing indicators on bracket. Lower one has a line with "0" I assume this is TDC Top one has no marking by it. Chilton manual 4,5,or 6* ATDC. The mark on balancer is at top indicator. Does this sound like I've got it? Are there any links out there that may have better pictures? Chilton isn't really showing me what I want. I'm trying to avoid pulling front cover if possible. As always I appreciate any info

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to really time these engines is to use a machine or take it to a diesel shop. Put your sig in so we know what you have and just do alot of searching for what you want to fix. As for lining up the marks on the bracket and cam and whatnot, I have no Idea but I know its in here for sure. I was readin up on it the other day. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alignment dowel on the IP gear will be at 4o'clock position at TDC #1 compression stroke. Hope this helps. Just make sure you KNOW for SURE your on the #1 compression stroke. (verify by feeling air coming out the #1 glowplug hole when you turning the engine over by hand. Then line up the line on the balancer with the 0 mark)

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed glow plug so maybe I could hear compression stroke. Sure enough I did. The timing mark stopped after TDC. It just doesn't show degrees on the bracket. Manual says 4,5 or 6* ATDC depending on fuel cetane. Like I said,the IP was off when I bought the truck so I really have my hands full. I know timing is critical so just guessing is not an option. Let me see if I can get a sig done

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed glow plug so maybe I could hear compression stroke. Sure enough I did. The timing mark stopped after TDC. It just doesn't show degrees on the bracket. Manual says 4,5 or 6* ATDC depending on fuel cetane. Like I said,the IP was off when I bought the truck so I really have my hands full. I know timing is critical so just guessing is not an option. Let me see if I can get a sig done

The 4, 5, 6 is if your setting the timing with a probe after an IP install. You are installing a pump so you start with it straight up on 0 with the scribe mark on the pump body flange and timing cover lined up.

So to refresh put #1 cyl on TDC compression stroke with line on the dampner set to the 0 on the metal timing bracket
install pump gear with the dowel hole at the 4 o'clock position.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just lined up the 2 dash marks located on my pump,and left it. I get wonderful fuel mileage and lots of power.

as per usual, i read too fast... yes you will have to take off the cover and line up the two marks as others have said.
Guessing might result in a piston colliding with a valve ;)

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the injection pump gear cover wasnt taken off, then just install pump and line up the reference marks on the pump on the cover. No need to do anything else as far as lining anything up(there is an alignment dowel on the timing gear, you cant screw it up). From there you have to have a timing meter to get it dead on. But this should get it running for ya. Now if someone took off the entire timing gear cover you are in for a treat. Hopefully not the case.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a method you can use to make sure you put your gear for your pump in correctly. I can't remember where I read it at but you take your gear and count the teeth from the dot on your gear I beleive. you count each way from the dot then take a staight edge and scribe a line acroos your gear. When installed with motor on top dead center the line you scribed should be parallel with your front cover. I cant remember it all but it worked for me a year ago. Hopefully somebody knows where to find this procedure.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worried at all about piston/valve damage. The crank/cam timing never got changed. He only removed the pump gear. It's just like installing a new distributor in a "gasser". I just need to set pump timing. So if I set engine at TDC and use the 19 tooth method I should be ok to start it up? I also bumped pressure 10%. This should not make a difference in timing. I've installed pumps on new engines when everything is nice & new but never on an existing engine. I know alot more about big Cat & Cummins than I do about the IH motors. I never had to do anything like this to my last truck.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read what Chilton said about 4,5,or 6* and got a little overwhelmed. Think they made it harder than it is. I've timed plenty of gassers. It's not rocket science. Manuals are good but sometimes can give too much info.LOL!!!!

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are probably a hundred teeth on that gear and about a hundred on the cam gear. The chances of you aligning the marks perfectly would be a miracle if you couldn't see them in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online